It's St Paddy's Day. Now, as you may know, I'm not the religious type, so naturally I don't give a crap about St. Patrick. In fact, I'm pretty certain St. Patrick was an asshole. I once had the misfortune of watching an episode of one of those supposedly innocent kids Christian shows called "Veggie Tales." The absolute blatant condensending propaganda was nauseating. They detailed that Patrick was a slave in Ireland and came back because he felt sorry for the poor heathens. The Irish that lived there at the time were depicted as all dressing like leprechaun/pilgrims, had red hair, and talked in high-pitched voices and said, "ohhh!" before every sentence. The narrator with his deep all-knowing voice explained that before St. Patrick came to Ireland to save them all, "the Irish were Pagans, which means they worshipped things like twigs," [zoom to red-headed leprechaun, "ohhhh the twigs!"] "and pond scum." ["Ohhhh, the pond scum!" the red-headed leprechaun exclaims while bowing at the edge of the (green) pond.] It's not often that I'm jaw-droppingly offended, but this was one of those times. My overtly religious buddy Rob was aware of my obvious sudden uncomfortableness and at least tried to make a joke out of it. For once even he may have been a little embarrassed, but probably not.
Anyway, St. Patricks' day, for me, is one great big party with beer and music all day. And in fact, with it arriving on a Friday this year, it's three straight days of party time. Those fuckers inserted religion into a perfectly decent holiday called Winter Solstice, so it's only fair that I refuse to participate in the religious side of this holiday. Unfortunately, poor me has finals next week so I'll have to spend at least Sunday studying. However, Amadan is playing FOUR TIMES this weekend and twice today, so at least I'll get to check that out.
Anyway, it's already four o'clock somehow, so I must get out to the giant party at Kells. See ya in a few days.
Friday, March 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Have a great time!
Woo Hoo! Hope a good time is had by one and all... I can't wait to catch up with my buddy Sam... who was headed to a biker bar called the Iron Horse... which a friend of his likes to call the Iron Whore... for reasons that I hope, most sincerely, they never share with me.
Happy St. Green Beer Day
Amy
And a great time was had by y'all
Post a Comment