Sunday, March 19, 2006

A quick update

I stayed sober on St. Patrick's day. That's right folks, Sara did not drink herself into a stupor on Hedonist's Day. This, however, was not because I didn't want to drink, but because I ended up having to wait in line for TWO AND A HALF HOURS, to get into the back tent at Kell's. I got in just before Amadan hit the stage and had enough time to down a beer and some food under the leering eye of a large, charcoal Samuel Beckett before they started playing. I think though that it was worth it. People danced from the first note to the last. There were only two assholes in the crowd and they were spotted and thrown out promptly. The bouncer even said, "Yer outta here!" and jerked his thumb back like an umpire. I resisted the urge to point in their faces and yell, "HAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" but I sure wanted to.

Today, I attended a huge peace rally/march in Portland. We started off at the waterfront, listened to a few bands and some speakers, then marched around downtown. The police estimated there were 9,000-10,000 people marching! I found out about this at the last second, so I sadly didn't have a witty sign ready like everyone else. Oh well, I wore my desert cammies, my dog tags and pinned my Airborne wings on my leather jacket. Sometime during the march I caught up with Veterans for Peace and got a few buttons from them. There were drums, marching bands, chanting, singing... ahhhhh, it was wonderful. Portland rocks.

Finals this week. The library is open until 1am, so I must go off and study. All this standing in line and marching and stuff has left me so sleepy. Good thing I have a pot of Dead Man's Reach coffee ready!

5 comments:

Middle Child said...

Portland sounds like a good place to be... hope so Sara

Amy said...

the march sounds like a great experience... at least a sign that there is a little hope in the world on the "people-front" i wonder sometimes ya know.

Diane S. said...

Sara and I have been emailing about protests, so everyone forgive me if I skip that part, and go straight to ---

No shit? You were airborne? I don't think I knew about this Sara. My father was airborne in Korea. I asked him once, "How scared were you the first time you jumped out of an airplane?"

His answer: "Not nearly as scared as I was the second time I jumped out of an airplane."

Amy said...

that's hilarious diane....

Sara said...

Ahh, Army humor! Another good one:

Fresh-faced trooper in training: "So what's it like to jump out of a perfectly good airplane?"

Grizzled jumpmaster: *cocks eyebrow* "What makes you think it's perfectly good?"

Yeah, I was Airborne. This was the pinnacle of my teenage rebellion (even though I was 20 by the time I got there). My dad and his family are all academicy, PhD-holding, college professor types and I was a two-time failure of high school English and numerous other classes. So I said, "Haha! I'm gonna go get paid money to jump outta airplanes! I don't need yer stinkin' college edjmuhcation!" Of course, it was two years of college level language study in a stuffy classroom and some other tech training before I actually got to jump out of any airplanes.

I guess it was a rite of passage of sorts. My wings and my combat patch are the only two Army things I have much of any pride in.