Usually I sit through opening bands rather impatiently, checking the time and wondering when in the hell they are going to get off the stage. However, I didn't want the Scotch Greens to stop playing that night. They were that good!
Alas, it had to end and the mayhem that is two road crews transforming the stage from one 8 instrument band to another began. People were scampering this way and that; rolling up cords here, unrolling them there; heaving amplifiers to and fro; and my favorite, the taking down and unfurling of the bands' colors in the back. These modern day sailors have a unique look about them - tattoos, worn out jeans, little-known band t-shirt, and a facial expression that says they know EXACTLY what they're doing and you'd better get the hell out of the way. One of the bands had a girl in the road crew and I was impressed; it's not often you see one of those type!
The wait wasn't as excruciating as it normally is and this probably stems from the fact that although I had an excellent spot, I didn't feel threatened of losing it. No one was trying to shove and arm or limb in some impossibly small space between me and the dude to my left.
They finally hit the stage and went into a song that I'm not sure I've heard live before: "Another Bag of Bricks." I thought it a strange choice for an opening song, but it was fun to sing the "Heyyyyyyyyyyahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" parts. From here the order of the songs gets fuzzy. I will tell you the highlights.
"Factory Girls" On the album, this is a duet with Lucinda Williams, which led to me purchasing one of her albums and henceforth falling in love with her voice. If I could pick a woman to sound like, it'd be her. However, they don't personally own Lucinda and bring her out on tour, so Bridget sang. Not only is Bridget a rippin' fiddle player (and tin whistler) she can SING too! Ahhh, jealousy. Seriously, who wouldn't want to tour around the world playing pirate songs on the fiddle?
"Queen Anne's Revenge" This song was written and sung by Nathen, the bassist. In case you didn't know the Queen Anne's Revenge was Blackbeard's ship. On the album this song feels like getting hit by a tidal wave. It's a pounding calvacade of rhythm and sound. It bashes you back against the seat of your car as you beat on the steering wheel, struggling to navigate through the sea of freeway traffic. (Ok, maybe that's just me) But they've never played it live and this has always left me a little disappointed. So I was fairly BEAMING when the song was announced. I hope my thrashing about was noticed so they might play it more often in the future.
"Worst Day Since Yesterday" I love a band that writes songs that take on new and different meanings for me as time goes by. I used to not really enjoy this song. It was slow and, I thought, kinda wimpy. But as I grew up, I all of the sudden and at once understood it. It's a song about a hangover and it took an actual hangover for me to get it. Poetic, I am not. As Dave said, they hadn't played the song in years but due to the enthusiastic drunk in the front row, they were going to break it out. This made me trés happy, as not only had I not heard it live since the sudden revelation, but on this song Matt crosses the stage with his accordion and plays right in front of where I was standing. Hooray for accordions! There was much swaying in the front row and this was also pleasing.
"Tobacco Island" There was a show or two that I attended after this song was released where it wasn't played and that made me quite sad. However, the past two shows now they have played it, so I hope this continues. Like I said earlier, I had gotten myself a spot in front of the mandolin/banjoist because I'm fascinated with those instruments. "Tobacco Island" has the most kickass banjo part in it that I've been known to fast forward through the song just to get to it. I made sure to scream loud and long when the song was introduced, I was so excited. Once again, I hope this was noticed as I would like to hear this song again and again. Besides, it reminds me of my friend Honey, as we would sing "off to hell we must sail!" everytime we walked to the motor pool (at least 17 times a day) back at Ft. Drum. Ahh, the memories!
"Salty Dog" Pirate song! Need I say more?
"Grace of God Go I" Honestly, this is the only song I routinely skip on any of the Flogging Molly CDs. It's a prayer. I am not a pray-er and I therefore have trouble connecting with it. However, it's a wonderful song live. Dave came out for the encore by himself and sang it. Aforementioned Drunk And Enthusiastic Guy In Front Row sang every word. While I don't empathize with prayer, I do have an appreciation for honesty, passion and humility, all of which this song addresses, and beautifully well at that.
"Son Never Shines on Closed Doors" This is a song for singing by yourself, when you're sure no one's looking. I prefer high speeds on lonely stretches of freeway to sing it, personally. Never heard it live. The was the second song of the encore and Bridget sang the duet. There was more swaying in the front row and I remember thinking, "Man, what a great night! I don't want it to end!"
"Delilah" I've trashed many barracks rooms while jumping around to live recordings of this song, but have never heard it live. (I don't think. However, they may have played it that one time in San Diego on the Warp Tour way back when. I didn't know enough about them at the time to remember any song names.) Words do not describe the level of excitement I was at when I heard the first opening chords. I was fairly certain that my face was going to split in half from smiling so hard. I almost screamed myself hoarse before the first verse even began! The manager, whose name I can't remember, came out to play trumpet (hooray for my old instrument!), there was more swaying in the front, plenty of crowd-only sing-alongs.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! It was so wonderful wonderful wonderful that I was ready to die when it was over. Really, that's all I need out of life. Just a little bit of fantastic music.
And there's the Flogging Molly review. Sorry it took three posts and four days to get it out. Oh, and Dave stands on his tip-toes when he sings. It's very cute.
Saturday, March 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Sara - I visited my nephews over the in Houston this weekend and they are absolutely dead set on FM... I told them about you... and they are envious and all subsequently fallen madly in love with you - and want to marry you. They're 20, 17, and 12... let me know if you're interested.
(ha)
Oh! I love a good trilogy! This was great!
Post a Comment