The venue (Showbox) was pretty cool. Three bars surrounded the dance floor with plenty of tables and yet nothing obstructive either. Not wanting to drink because of the 4 hour drive home afterwards, I walked up front and secured myself a place on the right side of the stage. I did this as the last several shows I've ended up on the other side and I really wanted to watch Bob the banjo/mandoliner(mandolinist?) play. To my continued amazement, I remained in this spot the entire night.
The first band, the Rolling Blackouts, was a straightforward rock n roll band. The crowd wasn't really into them, but they weren't bad. The singer had very pretty eyes and that perpetual 2-3 days worth of scruff that's so popular right now.
The next band, the Scotch Greens, kicked much ass. It takes a lot for a band I've never seen before to get me dancing/fist pumping. The singer sounded like a cross between Johnny Cash and Shane MacGowan and he hopped around stage bug-eyed, slurring and growling. They had a mandolin/banjoist and played kick-ass punk rock with a country twang. They hailed from Ketchum, Idaho. They played last night in Portland, but I was too sleepy to make it.
More to follow. I've got to find some beer.
Thursday, March 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Damn. I'm really wishing I had been there with you.
Scotch Greens huh? Who knew they played cow-punk in Idaho?
Post a Comment