I've really stepped over the line musically. I was toeing it when I discovered that I actually like U2. But yesterday I went and downloaded some Bob Dylan. And I liked it.
Let me explain. Corvallis, OR, the town I was born in and after some moving around, the area I graduated high school in (ok, I did the HS thing in a neighboring logging town) is populated by upper-middle class ex-hippies who drive Volvos, listen to NPR and sip lattes. Fairly nice people, but just way to blase for my aspiring punk rocker taste. Gimme boots, a mohawk and a beer.
I hated U2 with a PASSION from the age of 9, simply because my parents (who, by the way, were/are not upper-middle class, ex hippies. nor do they drive a Volvo. Or listen to NPR for that matter.) and their siblings loved them. Bob Dylan was a staple of the old Corvallis crowd. Even the hippy kids spoke of him in reverance. "None of that, dude! I'm not gonna turn out like you! Turn up the fucking Bad Religion, man!"
Earlier this year I was innocently walking around a bookstore in Kingston, Ontario when a U2 song came on. "Man, I love this song! Why don't I have any U2 CDs? I need to buy one!" And so I did. It was only during the drive home did I realize what had just transpired. "Dammit, I'm getting old!" But I let it go, because, well, they ARE pretty good.
I don't know what happened with Dylan, honestly. Yesterday I read a quote from him and then suddenly I was downloading songs. And I'm sure everyone knows that "Masters of War" has all sorts of applicability for today's issues, so I won't go on and on about it. But DAMN that is some poetry!
It occurs to me that I listen to NPR on occasion, too. And I looooove fufu coffee. But you're not getting me near Burkenstocks! No way! I WILL die with my boots on (or my old Chucks, or a pair of Vans for that matter)!!!!!
Wednesday, December 14, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Sara, Sara,
As one ex-punk to an aspiring punk, let me help you out with this.
See, the way you need to think about it is that you like politically "radical" music.
U2 (who were punk at the beginning - listen to their first album) are politically radical. Bono is an ass. But he's a politically radical ass.
Dylan is the Chairman of the Fuckin' Politically Radical Board, and probably the best poet in the history of American music.
Old does not necessarily mean uncool. At our punk-rock parties (way back in the '80's), we always played "Louie Louie" (often several different versions). And Dion's "Ruby" (which is just fabulous to dance to).
You gotta have respect for the classics. I don't care what year it is, the Sex Pistols were the cat's fuckin' pajamas.
So girl, get that mohawk, wear those boots. But man, not vans. Vans are just so passe'.
don't worry, liking dylan doesn't make you a hippy
rock and roll
Yeahhh, about the Vans. Ya see I have these wee midget feet. "Freakishly small" and "stubs" they've been referred to as. Vans has a bunch of reject and kids shoes that they sell for like $20. I like $20 shoes. I especially like $20 shoes that fit me. So Vans are my friends. And they sponsor the Warp tour, so that makes 'em even more likeable. I was definitely upset, though, when Nike bought out Converse. It's bad enough that I live in the same town as Nike, why must they have bought out my favorite shoes???
Oh, and Black Flag's cover of "Louie Louie" is one of my favs. Between the Cherry Poppin' Daddies, the Clash and Flogging Molly, I've been sucked into many different and strange subgenres and loved every minute of it. It's just the middle-class hippy music that I hesitate listening to.
I’ll admit, I only like one U2 song, which is ironically - One. I like it because it speaks directly to me, oh, and to the fact that I am emotionally bankrupt, etc.
God save the Queen, we mean it man!
Sara o' the wee feet,
$20.00 shoes are cool. By sheer cheapness, they are cool. So you can have your vans.
Back in the day, when I was a punk rocker, cheap was a badge of honor. If you could come to a party all tricked out, and have spent less than, oh $5.00, on the whole fuckin' get-up, from the black dress, the shredded stockings, to the stilletto heels, then that was cool. Quintessentially cool. (Cost of black lipstick, eyeliner, and fingernail polish not to be included in cost of costume.)
I had a lover in college who lived off of $200.00 a month. No shit. Even in the 80's, that was some seriously lean times. He might never have survived his college education had not the rest of us taken him under the collective wing. The rule was, you saw this guy, you bought his drinks, and you fed him. Period. You did not go home until he had a meal in his belly. And feeding him, well, that's how he ended up my lover. Though I'm told he was always grateful.
Oh, to be young and wreckless again...
Post a Comment