Sunday, December 11, 2005

Wow, so I woke up at 2 today. Yeah, that's 2pm. I do feel slightly guilty over sleeping in when I know everyone else in this apartment complex works their asses off and I just kinda bum around. But hey, most of these people didn't have to dodge rockets in the year 400 either. (I'm convinced Afghanistan looked exactly as it does now in the 5th century, possibly even earlier.)

Yesterday was pretty damn cool. Portlanders, accustomed to gloom for 9 months of the year, become a little strange when the sun comes out for a whole day in December. First, there was a family wearing kilts on the train. Then, while taking the meandering long way to the bookstore, I turned the corner to face.... who? Darth Vader and a couple of storm troopers. And they were heading right for me. I never thought until that moment that TV really had much of an effect on me as a kid. But something must be programmed deep inside, as I actually did a little fake step dance move in an attempt to run in the opposite direction. Once I regained composure, I thought it was pretty neat. That's a costume someone really could pay me to wear. There was also a parade (mostly union workers), and a man making giant bubbles.

Last night, though, was only so-so. The pipers only played for 20 minutes and then the other band started up again. They might have played another set later, but I didn' stick around. The place was packed and no one talked to me. Well, one guy did ask if I had to show up at noon to get my seat. I'd have glared at him, but I was so happy for the communication that I didn't bother. I had to get off the train on the way home to use the bathroom. The US isn't big on public restrooms, so this is usually a challenge. I got off at a fairly built up stop and found a security guard. He informed me that the restrooms were closed, but upon giving him my most desperate I-have-four-pints-of-Guinness-sitting-in-my-bladder look, he reluctantly opened them up for me. When I got home I attempted to cook something involving potatoes and almost instantly set off the smoke alarm. I'm sure my neighbors love me.

No comments: