Friday, December 30, 2005

Ooo boy, guests!!!

Apparently I have the attention span of a gnat. Just last night I had to turn down an invitation to go snowboarding because my sister is coming to my house this evening. 12 hours later I'm drinking a beer at McMenamin's and my phone rings. This surprises me for a couple of reasons: I have a new ringtone that I put in THIS MORNING and yet had already forgotten about, and my sister was phoning. What on earth could she want? "Uh, hi. You never gave me directions to your apartment." I frown at the phone. "Ohhhhh yeah," it dawns on me, "You're coming up here tonight." There's a slight pause on the other end and I can almost hear her thinking, Ummm, yeah, didn't have this conversation several times already?

So I give her directions, finish my beer and food and start to walk home. I step outside into a DELUGE. "Ughhh. Oregon," I mutter to no one in particular, as no one else is dumb enough to attempt walking anywhere in this climate. I trudge over to the nearest Starbucks (not to worry, there are Starbucks approximately every three feet in the northwest) and get a free chai latte (my aunt gave me a Starbucks gift card! How cool is that?). I'm sipping away doing puzzles on my phone when, once again, it occurrs to me that Gretchen had called about something... an hour and a half ago. I rush home.

It's been two hours and she's yet to appear, but as it's Friday night rush hour and the roads are flooded I'm sure it's just slow traffic and nothing disastrous has happened. I suppose I should be cleaning or something, but then again Gretchen's really not here to visit me, so much as to lodge her bird and maybe herself if she gets desperate enough. I'm really just a launching pad for her fabulous nightlife, apparently. So here I am, old and boring, waiting for my sister and her bird.

And my latte is cold.

Sigh.

Update for Diane S.: She's here, huffing and puffing all the way. Took her out to eat and stuff. Her bird keeps racing across the room to bite my toes. Hmpff.

3 comments:

Diane S. said...

So...

Is she THERE?

- Diane the impatient

Amy said...

If you don't mind terribly - I'll be forced to steal that line "waiting for my sister and her bird," will make the perfect title to my new short story. (I'll dedicate it in honor of your blog)

Sara said...

Nah, I don't mind Amy. Do whatcha gotta.