There's this bookstore in Portland - Powell's City of Books, to be exact - that takes up an entire city block. Supposedly, it's the largest new and used bookstore in the world. It's big enough that they offer a map of the place when you walk in.
When asked for a Christmas list, my youngest sister replied, "a book that you like." Great. It's flattering, but also a little daunting. What if she didn't like the book? Isn't that kind of a reflection on me, since I read it and liked it? I really didn't like the implications, so I got her a book that I haven't read. It's something I've wanted to read, but never gotten around to. A lot of important people say it's good. And it was on sale.
Oh and I got myself something, too. There is a pile of books on my shelf that I haven't yet read, so I figured I'd get something that's supposed to sit on a shelf unread: an action figure of Anne Bonny, the pirate. Yeah, told you it was a cool bookstore! She's got removable pistols, a sword and an axe!
Sunday, December 11, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Well, both of my sisters hang out on MySpace where I have a link to my blog, so there is the possibility that they might discover their Christmas presents early, but then again the chances of them making it to the comment section are slim. The book was The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide which has all the books in the series. I'm pretty sure she liked the movie.
Oh, you can't lose with Douglas Adams. Douglas Adams is the very stuff. THE SHIT as my ex used to say.
If I'm not mistaken though, The Ultimate does not include The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul. But she can get that herself.
I am moved to jealousy and covetousness at Anne Bonny, the Pirate, the Action Figure. Way cool.
Post a Comment