It's the shortest day of the year! That means everyday after this will have at least a little more time of grey gloom before it becomes blackness. It was pitch dark by 5:00. I remember high school as four straight years of darkness. No wonder!
We (my older younger sis and my dad) almost got arrested at the liquor store. After a robust debate about what we were going to buy, we made up our minds and went to the counter. Evil redneck wench asked ALL of us for ID. Older-younger sis, being under 21, backed out and said she didn't have ID. Note that you aren't required to carry ID as a citizen of the US. Note also that it did not say on the door that ID will be required of children of the booze-buyers. "How do *I* know she's your daugher?" redneck wench asked. "Because I said so!" says my indignant dad. "Well, she doesn't look anything like you!" Thus getting to the real reason we were all carded: she didn't like the way we looked. That's all there was to it. What if a five-year-old was in there? Would he/she have ID? Of course not! And she/he wouldn't be required to have such, either! Redneck wench saw my sister and I and decided to card us before we approached her. If we had shown ID and my sister proved underage she wouldn't have sold us the booze, despite the parental influence (and the fact that it's LEGAL to serve and consume alcohol as a minor in one's own home under parental supervision.). Since she didn't show her ID she acted as if it were illegal to not have such identification. In the end, Gretchen went outside and redneck wench sold us the booze with the admonition, "only because it's Christmas." Well, lawdy gee mastuh, ain' we lucky! Dad steamed for at least five hours. "I'm never giving another dollar to this godamn redneck town! They can kiss my ass!!!!"
We bought tequila and rum, neither of which I'm the hugest fan of. Perhaps tomorrow when I'm out buying Asian spices for them, I can talk dad into funding another bottle of Bushmill's or Jameson. I think I've already talked him into funding a trip for the Irish pub in Portland, what with the samplers of all that whiskey - Scotch and Irish - that he can't afford to buy, not to mention the Guinness chocolate cake.
Other than that, home has been as boring as usual. It's too rainy to go for a walk, so the five of us have been fighting over the one (dial-up) internet. Sigh. Is it Christmas yet?
Wednesday, December 21, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Oh family Christmas! Saint's preserve us!
I vote for Jameson over Bushmill, but I don't suppose my vote counts...
Tequilla is quite good with a beer chaser. Is it good tequilla? I mean, is there a worm in the bottle?
I don’t drink tequila anymore, not for years… not since I woke up 325 miles from home, in bed with a guy named Zach Hall. Woke up just in time to watch him swill the last quarter cup of a bottle of Pepe Lopez… After which he threw his head back and in a wild, high-pitched voice began screaming Pepeeee! Pepeeee! Pepeeee! Until the people in the hotel room next to ours started banging on the wall and shouting for us to shut up.
Amy - HAAAAAA!!! *wipes tears* oh dear, that was funny!
good story, enjoy christmas in the states and pour one out for all the poor souls who bit it in the desert
Brian
That is an outrage, having to be ID'd when your dad is clearly a grown up, responsible adult [although buying tequila....? i cant drink the stuff anymore]
Hope you had a good one!
Post a Comment