Friday, December 02, 2005

Ok everyone

Walk the Line is fucking FANTASTIC. The concert scenes were just incredible. When they ended I would blink and wonder, "Wait a minute.. where am I? How'd I get here? Movie theater? I was just at a concert!" Joaquin Phoenix has totally redeemed himself. Where did he go wrong, you might ask? Well, he didn't. It's just that the first role I saw him in was the sniveling son of the emperor in Gladiator and he did it so well that I just could not shake my image of him as an effeminate, slightly weird, pretty boy. Johnny Cash? No way! "He'll ruin him!" I told my mom, who is very much in love with Joaquin. "Ugh, but he's so gorgeous! I don't see what you have against him." I explained that he looks like he's wearing eyeliner. He's skinny. He IS hot, but in a sweet and sensitive I-have-pretty-eyes-and-write-poetry kinda way. But ya know what? He was Johnny Cash. He was dead on. I don't think Johnny Cash coulda played Johnny Cash any better. AND they did all their own singing! Seriously! Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon sang all those songs!

BTW, I almost didn't get a parking spot and it was only 1:20 in the afternoon! Don't these people have jobs? Ok, *I* don't, but that's beside the point. My particular room wasn't crowded and it had mostly old people. A few of them had a grandkid sitting by their side and occasionally you could hear some explanations going on. I hope this spurs a whole new generation of Johnny fans. Maybe then when they grow up they'll pick up an acoustic guitar and bang out some heart felt tunes. This is a cycle I like to see happening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen that movie yet, due to being without home and all that other rubbish, but, but, BUT! It's going to happen before I leave the country, I just know it. I've had my doubts about Joaquin as well and ESPECIALLY about Reese Witherspoon (icky), but then I watched some interviews with them in some random hotel room in Nowhere, Massachusetts. Now I really want to see it, and I think I might love it.