Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Wow, speaking of careful wishes

Apparently someone threw a pipebomb near my parent's house two nights ago! Terrorist activity in Philomath!!!! Good thing I wasn't there, I think I would have grabbed a gun and gone chasing after anyone in the area. Loud booms and projectile explosives make me a little jumpy nowadays.

The annexation was defeated by 78%!!!! YAYYYYYY!!!! I feel like I did some good in the world. Now, I have to register to vote up here and learn about all the local politicians and initiatives in this area. I did see the Libertarian party headquarters downtown, but I think I'll be skipping that experience. Not that I don't support the libertarian party - they take votes away from those stinkin' Republicans - but they really just aren't my thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What annexation?

Sara said...

There was a vote in my parent's town (my home of record) for an annexation in front of the house. There's a huge swath of fields/old Christmas tree farms there, and they wanted to put in 700 new homes. We're near the limits of our water supply as it is, plus this many new people in our little town of 4,000 would break the schools and make driving a nightmare. So a few weeks ago my mom and I passed out flyers throughout town and wore little buttons. Everyone in the neighborhood took turns writing letters to the editor, including my dad, and we all had yard signs. The family who wanted the annexation is an old Philomath logging dynasty family. They're the ones who tried (and still try) to hijack the school board so we only teach things that involve forestry, Christianity, and conservatism (the Repub kind, not the save-the-trees kind). They somehow think they still own the town and posted all sorts of propaganda in the newspapers and on our doorsteps in support of the annexation. Nya-ha!!! We won! By a lot!!

Anonymous said...

"Annexation" is just not a good word to throw around when someone who came from Europe is likely to hear you. We get all twitchy and start seeing goose-stepping conquerors everywhere. Thank you for clearing that up.

Let's see... Seven hundred new homes times estimate of an average four people per home makes two thousand eight hundred people, or a seventy percent increase in the population of your town -- roughly, of course. It would be nice to see the plan for getting the town's infrastructure to accomodate that. Perhaps it goes like this: "Step one: build lots of houses quickly. Step two: (profound silence, eyeballs nervously darting left and right). Step three: urban development!"

Odenton, the town around Ft. Meade, is doing just that in preparation for its own large population increase that they think is going to happen when Ft. Meade absorbs all the stuff from other posts closed by BRAC. I do not look forward to seeing the result.