Wednesday, November 23, 2005

'nother day a hunt'n'

Once again I got up at 4:30 in the morning, ate a small meal and drove for an hour and a half further into the mountains to battle hills, rocks and salmonberry. Once again I didn't shoot anything. But it was gorgeous out, again, and we got some great views of some real back country. There were old growth forests and new forests that looked like old forests until you saw the REALLY old forests. There were log trucks barreling down narrow, windy, gravel roads. There were snow-fed salmon rivers, fisherman, hunters and plenty of sunshine.

So much sunshine! This is unheard of for Oregon in November! Unheard of anytime year, for that matter. I can't believe that tomorrow is Thanksgiving and the sun is shining.

Ah, Thanksgiving. I think this has officially replaced the 4th of July as my favorite holiday. There's no stress of Christmas presents and shopping, just food. Sweet, filling, delicious, delectable, delightful FOOD. Mom is baking pumpkin pies as we speak. If we're lucky, we may get apple as well! mmmm, yams..... mashed potatoes..... rolls.... turkey.... cranberry sauce.... more yams.... I already can't wait. Poor Mom. Actually, Mom claims that this is her favorite holiday as well, but I think she's really just overjoyed that all three of her daughters have made it home this year and none of us are in dangerous foreign countries or working dangerous stupid jobs, instead.

This dial-up connection is absolutely killing me. I must disconnect before I throw the monitor out the window.

1 comment:

Middle Child said...

Hi Sara, I just read your Thanksgiving post and know how your mother feels...And yes the idea of a big day of eating together without all the present stuff (of course thats good too) is a good one.

Our two daughters will be making it home here for Christmas and I am never happier in this life than when I have all my own little family under the one roof. of course I know its just for a few days, but it is something special and we all feel it.

About the 'redneck' comment maybe it means a little different in the US.

Here just ordinary farmers are referred to as rednecks, especially if they offer an opinion which doesn't suit the intellegensia whoever they are.

Its more of a misunderstanding between urban people who can not appreciate that most of our present day farmers in Australia are veering towards organic and beong responsible and a lot of who are quite well informed about the world situation and country people who pull their hair out at the water waste and garbage accumulation of many urbanites.

Shame because they have more in common ...than they do with the giant corporations who really are the environmental vandals.

There was no civil war here, so there is not the same feeling here.

We're not as big on religion I guess although lots of us are quite spiritual...it is more often in a less organised and vocal way...More like the Brits than the Yanks that way

also we only have 20million here and the issues are calmer if you know what i mean. Its too hot to get to upset about too many things.

The big issue of division is that our country is very dry, just a thing green fringe around the vcoast. Farmers and independent environmentalists - those who aren't slipped favours by Gov. or Corportations - agree 12million is about the right amount this country can support and remains sustainable.

A big problem with salinity over many thousands of acres.

When the farmers and environmentalists point this out, hoping for a sensible "one in one out" immigration policy thats when the less well informed start screaming our the redneck title.

In Australia it is more to do with the imagined stupidity of farming people, and much less to do with racism and slavery and all of that.

I hope this is clear, it was when I started writing it... better check out the back of my own neck!