Sunday, November 27, 2005

A Train Ride

I hopped on the MAX again into Portland, this time to the airport. It's the last stop on the other line, so I got to see the whole city. I actually went to the airport to go Christmas shopping, if you can believe that. No one outside of visitors passing through the airport wants a Made in Oregon store, I guess, seeing as everyone else was made in Oregon themselves so it really doesn't seem too interesting. But, it is a good place to get smoked salmon, microbrews and coffee.

Riding the train across town can make you learn a lot. For instance, I would never have guessed that the Saturday Market ran on SUNDAY. Who'da thought? I got off there on the way back and it was full of street musicians and people cooking food. I almost gave some money to a group that had an accordion, because I have a lot of respect for someone that can play an instrument that complicated, but then I realized they were playing Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer and I decided to save my money. What a waste of accordioning talent.

From there I set off to find Kell's thinking it was somewhere in the neighborhood. Turns out you can practically see it from the MAX stop. Damn, if I had known one of the top ten Irish pubs in America was half a block from the MAX I'd have been there more often! It was too early in the evening for music, however, but I did enjoy all the Irish accents around. Heh, funny thing, most Irish pubs in the states are full of obnoxious drunk Americans so the fact that there actually were Irish folk present was kind of unique. I had Dublin Chicken Curry and Chips which was totally not what I expected. I mean, did YOU picture the chicken curry being ON TOP of the chips? Well, I didn't either. It tasted very good though, if a little strange. There was fruit in it. Fruit and curry..... hmm... It was the first time I'd eaten all day so I wolfed it in about two bites.

I got home a few hours ago and decided to try this guitar playing thing again and now my hand hurts. Oh well, I wasn't as horrible as I remember being.

Tony keeps getting on AIM for about 3 seconds and signing off again. Just enough time for me to type a message to it and press 'Send' and have it rejected. Hopefully it's just a minor connection problem and he can get it fixed soon. I seriously can't wrap my mind around another 9 months of him in Iraq.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is, "Accordion!" and "For Shame! Playing horrible christmas carols like that! Boo, boo to that!"

I'm a dork.

Of course I'll write letters to you from other countries! Reading about your last jaunt to London gives me hope cuz that's my first stop...oh jeez. Oh jeez.