Tuesday, January 24, 2006

This thing popped out today. Forgot it was there and it startled me for a second. After years of living in inferior places where giant snowy mountains aren't looming, it comes as a shock to me when it appears. This is Mt. Hood, by the way. And my fair city of Portland.













I walked home through the sunshine to find a letter from my good friend Jenn, who is traveling around, staying in squats and generally living it up in Europe; a comment from AST; an email from Amy; and a new pair of pants (turns out they don't fit, but who doesn't like getting clothes in the mail?). Oh and Jenn's very nice, handwritten letter - such a rarity these days - included a rubbing of Peter Kropotkin from Angel Alley, Whitechapel, London. It's very neat and just like her to include something artsy. Wayyyy cooler than a postcard, Jenn. Thank you!

Note to AST in regards to recruiting the college bubbleheads: This is Portland, man. One of the reasons I came back here is because of the mega-majority of freethinking, anti-war, happy leftists. I haven't met a single college student, NOT ONE, who has identified him/herself as a war supporter. They play Air America in the cafeteria. I did meet some vets awhile back and they said the only problems they've had have been with the overzealous hippy kids who immediately assume the vets are going to be asshole oo-rah lifer type. I've not seen fit to spill my past yet.

I did see two dudes in ACUs and patrol caps speeding through downtown today. I was confused by this for a number of reasons, namely 1) no BERETS??? If this isn't garrison, garrison doesn't exist; and 2) what are they doing near campus in Portland? Anyway, it annoyed me that they were there, annoyed me that they ran the redlight and nearly killed a pedestrian and annoyed me that they made me think about their headgear for more than..... well, any length of time spent analyzing a fucking hat is too long.

I'm kinda itchin' for a fight though. I can't wait for some asshole to pop off at the mouth when I'm in earshot. It'd be even better if it were directed at me.

2 comments:

Diane S. said...

Tell me Sara, what sort of fight are you itching for?

Sara said...

The kind I can end with a biting, "So why aren't YOU in Iraq? Coward."