I seem to have acquired a case of the stupids. Either that or corporate America really IS using mind-control devices. Yesterday, for no apparent reason, I got off at the wrong train stop. I ride this exact route at least twice a day and I've managed to get myself home staggering drunk on a number of occasions. I didn't even realize it until I'd crossed the tracks and thought, "Heyyyyyyyyy, wait a minute!"
While I was there, I figured I'd head over to Fred Meyer's and get a bag for my new lappie. [note: Fred Meyer is a northwest department/grocery store chain that is smaller and far higher quality than any Wal-Mart. Been around longer, too.] So I wandered through the sea of parking lots and four-lane roads and walked in the side door. What is immediately staring me in the face? A wall of shoes with a 50% off clearance tag set on top. $20 Vans!! I, on the best of days, have a fairly weak resistance to 50% off sales, but shoes??? I'm a goner. Into the basket went a cute pair of black and pink (what? Sara owns something with PINK? It's mostly black, that's my excuse.)
Next, I'm trying to get to find the section that would sell handbags and I run into a stand with a sale on powerbars. Who puts powerbars on sale? Someone smart, apparently, because I took full advantage of that sale. Why the fuck did I need powerbars? Oh, and they're not the gross chewy "chocolate" disgust, but more of the organic, granola bar type.
Then I found lightbulbs! And a coffee mug! And hair products!
I walked out with a full load, but ya know what I didn't get? A freakin' bag. For the effort, I bought myself a latte and trudged the extra mile home.
Thursday, January 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
And the best day was had by one and all. Sounds like a great day to me...who ever ever gets what they went in to the shop for...don't be silly. You got what the universe meant you to have at that very time...oooowaaahhh!
I have the exact same reaction when I go into Fred Meyer, except it's the gourmet food and health food sections that get to me! And the bakery. And the deli! Fred Meyer has the most beautiful way of displaying their produce, baked goods (they have the best bread ever), deli stuff, and the gourmet section has the most amazing things in it. I can't be left alone in that store or I'll spend the grocery budget on stuff no one will eat but me... oh, and the cheeses... Oh... and their garden department in the summer! Best plants ever! I don't even DARE go into the shoe or clothing departments. Seriously. I love that store. Good thing the nearest one is 50 miles away! I know how it happens, Sara, believe me.
Gina: I can't go into the grocery section there! I live alone, so anything I buy I have to eat before it goes bad, so if ya let me loose in the food aisle, I'd be four hundred pounds by the end of the month. You're so right about their displays being beautiful. mmmm, cheeeeeeese...
michelcollins8649, if you are a real person, you are a loathsome and despicable comment-spammer. If someone buried your corpse in a landfill, all of the other garbage would get up and leave. I would not buy your penny stocks with your money.
Sara, corporations are using mind control devices and you know it. They are called "sales" and we have no means of resistance that are effective in the long term. Last night I spent ten minutes drooling over a $1700 iMac.
Post a Comment