I was just about to write a reply to a comment that Charlie had left, but just as my fingers touched the keyboard something strange happened. The whole atmosphere of my world changed. It wasn't a sound, it.... was it.... IS it... an EARTHQUAKE? My mind raced for alternative possibilities. Door slam? Neighbors wrestling? Huge blast of wind? Nahh, there was no sound... the building silently rumbled like we were on a boat. My stomach lurched.
One of my classes had us read an article about an earthquake that hit the Seattle area on the 26th of January, 1700. How do they know that exactly? It sent a tsunami all the way to Japan where it killed thousands of people. Let's just say the Japanese took note of it. The quake was thought about 9.2 and had it happened now would have caused unimaginable carnage.
I raced to the tv to see if what felt like a little quake down here wasn't actually a huge one up in Seattle. Nothing was mentioned about it for 20 minutes, which made me feel better. Turns out, it was a wee quake of about 2.8, centered in the Portland area.
Last night, according to my youngest sister, my dad woke up in the middle of a thunderstorm and ran through the house screaming, "GET UP GET UP GET UP!" He thought there was an earthquake and not only that, he insisted that my mom get on the national oceanianic whatever website, at four o'clock in the morning, to see if there was a tsunami with the supposed earthquake. Poor dad, everyone teases him.
After a walk and some yummy pasta, I'm feeling normal again. I can't say I like these earthquake things. Nope, not one bit.
Saturday, January 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I think I was about to type "Funny you should mention Scotland and Ireland, as I just found out about an archaeological field school taking place this summer in Ireland that I'm thinking of applying for." Perhaps it isn't such a good idea? Definitely made me rethink putting in that application!
Go to ireland Sara...I may never get there but go...
Re your earthquake...how funny it is that we check the TV and Internet to find out whats going on when we have already experienced it.
I wonder how it felt off Indonesia a while back when the big wave came after the earthquakes ...
I know that in geological history the whole of the east coast of Australia was inundated by a tremendous series of tidal waves from earthquakes in the Pacific and they went in as far as the ftips of the Blue Mountains in the great Dividing Rande...which these days is almost the division between civilisation and rural Australia (which is wher I originated...
Your Dads not silly at all. Better to have someone running about saying "Get up" than someone saying "What the fu.." happened"
新年快樂
That's happy new year in Chinese.
I hope life is well for you buddy.
Take care.
-Tony C. Yang
PFC, IRR
Post a Comment