"Have you received mobilization orders yet?" Um, shouldn't YOU know that? was my first thought. But then it occurred to me that maybe it wasn't army inefficiency and miscommunication, but rather she had meant, "I mailed your mobilization orders 3 weeks ago, have you gotten them yet?" Once again, I heard myself saying reasonable things in a reasonable tone. Who IS this calm and collected person in my head?
Turns out, disorganization was the cause. She then tried to sell me on signing up for the army reserves, which produced a good hearty chuckle on my part.
I am a little concerned though. As was discussed on Diane's blog, Canada is no longer a safe haven, a handful of people were called up just before Christmas, and General Casey, top dog in Iraq, says the Army is 'stretched.' Not good news. It all makes me very, very nervous.
Come rain or hail or wind or snow
I'm not goin' out to Baghdad oh
There's fightin' in Texas to be done
Let your Sergeants and your commanders go
Let oil men fight oil wars
It's nearly time they started oh
I saluted the Sergeant a very good night
There and then we parted OH!
I'm not goin' out to Baghdad oh
There's fightin' in Texas to be done
Let your Sergeants and your commanders go
Let oil men fight oil wars
It's nearly time they started oh
I saluted the Sergeant a very good night
There and then we parted OH!
-- "The Recruitin' Sergeant" Traditional, sang by the Pogues
Lyrics corrupted by Sara... And I don't need no accuser!
Lyrics corrupted by Sara... And I don't need no accuser!

3 comments:
Tell me this was a bad dream!
Yo Sara,
That last IRR callup they had, up to 50% were complete no shows. They never prosecuted a single one. Cause the truth is, if word gets out they're hunting down people like this, and dragging everybody to court shit will hit the fan bigtime and they will face a full scale mutiny. I would politely offer you get caller ID and do not correspond with the army anymore on anything. The vets who were the safest were the ones they couldn't find. I really hope you didn't give them any real contact info, and if you did, move again and leave it at that. And delete this post when you're done with it babe. And you know what? FUCK them. YOU did your time, you don't owe anyone anything. Get on with your life and make it count.
Don't you bloody well go anywhere Sarah. Scotland, Ireland, keep out of Blair's England and Howard's Australia... Get Pregnant (joke) if you have to but don't let them con you into going anywhere its all crap and we all know its crap...
They are so far up themselves. I do not notice Laura Bush and Georgie ever volunteering for active duty - the sucks.
Post a Comment