An American in Dublin told me a joke he had heard while researching his trip. Q: "When does the sun come up in Ireland?" A:"Around June." Haha! Except that I've been telling that joke about Oregon for years.
Today, during a steamy train ride past gridlocked highways, the operator came on. I was a little worried, as the only time that has happened in the past was when there was a problem. When my sister was here, there was something stuck on the train. Of course, we immediately flipped into our best William Shatner/Jim Carrey imitations of, "There's.... something on the train! Some.... thing!"
"Good morning ladies and gentlemen," he began in a slow, pilot's drawl. "The time is approximately 8:27 and we are just now coming into a wet and blustery downtown Portland. The temperature is expected to reach 50 degrees today. I hope you all have a wonderful day." The sarcasm was appreciated by much of the car and someone snorted, "What, is he on the move-out-of-Oregon committee?"
Class was pretty ok. My afternoon class was a sophomore university studies thing which involves hanging out with - surprise! - sophomores, many of whom are 19 years old. At least my archaeology class had some age. 19-year-olds drive me crazy, especially when I can't yell at them and make them do pushups. (Not that I made people do pushups in the army, but the threat was there.) My favorite quote from that class? "What is the definition of 'natural'?" 19-year-old: "Uh, from nature?" I think I actually smacked my head.
Monday, January 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Whats a sophmore... I have heard that term in the myriad of teeny bop movies I have seen over the years but we don't have them here. We just finish High school in Year 12, at about 17-19 and go the University or TAFE... once there few live at the Uni, they get together and rent scungy flats if they are struggling, or if Mum and dad can help they share somewhere which actually has glass in the windows...
MC - sophomore equates to the second year of college, or grade 10 in high school. My son is a sophomore in college, btw, and is 19 (20 in May). He'll actually celebrate his birthday in Scotland this year!
Sara - When I was 19, I was married, for God's sake, going to college full time as a junior and an engineering major. A far cry from today's 19 year-olds, many of whom I've come to know via my son... wow, are they ever immature! I sympathize.
oh GOD! Can you hear me roll my eyes from Spain? Don´t worry though, there have been plenty european teenagers to keep my stupid (stuh-pid)tolerance at a reasonable level...but why? WHY? AAARRRGGGHH!
Post a Comment