More guitar playing! I've no roomates, parents or any others to distract, dissuade or deter my quest to be a rock goddess. Or to play more than a few chords. I've enjoyed my time doing nothing so much that I've decided that I really don't want to work ever again. If after these three years or so of college I find myself in a remotely similar position of unhappiness as I was in the army, I am going to be quite displeased with myself.
I've been sort of playing the guitar since I was 14. Despite my years of school band, I knew nothing of music theory other than the simple reading of sheet music. Chords, scales, keys I couldn't tell ya about. Books on music theory, if you've never read them, can make calculus seem easy in comparison. So it's been hit and miss for these past years, but now it's starting to come together. I've found I can play numerous Against Me! songs and even a couple from Flogging Molly! It's a start, I suppose....
Here's to no more day jobs!!!!
Wednesday, January 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Most jobs suck, unless you are really lucky. I have a job that definitely does NOT suck. I get to do pretty much what I want most of the time, which really does not suck. I actually LIKE what I do, too, which also does not suck. It only took me 23 years to find a job that didn't suck (I started working at a real (not babysitting) job at age 15). As for music being harder than calculus, most people don't realize how mathematical music really is. A lot of mathematicians are great musicians and vice versa. At least with music you can have fun. I don't think there is much you can do that's fun with calculus. :)
And I, like Charlie, will hate you too since playing an instrument well and singing are two things I would love to be able to do.
Keep playing, Sara!!!
You go, Sara. And GOOD LUCK. I've been trying to learn that bastard guitar since 6th grade. Off and on. Alot of "off." My guitar playing sucks.
If you can find a way to survive financially and do what you love - please, don't miss the opprortunity. I almost didn't survive corporate America, but I have a faint pulse which can be picked up with sophisticated pulse-picking up monitors now... so I have hope.
Yep, that did piss me off, Charlie. I dated a guy once who randomly decided to pick up the guitar. A few weeks - WEEKS! - later, he was playing me Zeppelin. I hated him. He could also sing and did some damn fine karaoke. I especially hate singers. Ahhhhhh, jealousy!
Kep on with your music Sara... our oyungest daughter can sing, and compose, but like you did not learn the comventional way. BUt Sara some of her songs and words are so sweet, so harmonious they break my heart.
Music is a craft like writing...and there are only a rare few who really make it, but the aim is not to be famous, the aim is to play out the chords so that they keep your heart open, to pick out the harmonies so that you feel the beauty.... and as long as you enjoy it...there will be someone out there who will hear you, maybe through a wall or from a street, and for that person you might effect a change in their life...or your own...thats what the gift of music is about...nice too if a living can be made from it...but don't let the lack of dollars made deter you... play, enjoy and give joy.
the key is to work for yourself and not someone else
still trying to figure out how to make that happen, though
Play Sara.
Just love and enjoy music and its poetry.
not sure what else to say...
Post a Comment