Saturday, January 21, 2006

These songs of freedom

Hey, Sara. Remember that day you found a Clash CD at the library? The one without a title, it started off with "He's in love with rock n roll whoaa!" Remember the big stupid grin on your face when that song came on? Remember when "I'm So Bored with the U.S.A." played you immediately thought, "I have to learn this song!" And so you sat down and did. One of the first songs you learned.

Remember about a year later when you gathered up some money from birthdays and returned bottles, and went to the record store, Happy Trails? You bought Bad Religion's Generator and a used copy of London Calling. "This is different...." you thought. Halfway through "Rudy Can't Fail," the fifth song, you knew it was to be one of your favorite records of all time. Still is, isn't it? The first few notes of "Guns of Brixton" will always take you back to this day, lying on your bed, staring out the window and thinking to yourself that you'd been born twenty years too late.

Another memory for ya. You may not remember this, as you couldn't have been more than 3 or 4. You and your mom danced around the living room to "Rock the Casbah." Mom would snap her fingers when she danced. You couldn't do that. You were content to stomp your feet and jump, waving your arms around, smiling. Not much has changed, eh?

So Sara, with all these great memories, why - OH WHY - was it not until last night that you listened to Joe Strummer's solo stuff?

Sara may have an answer later. For now she can't stop listening to Streetcore, particularly that Bob Marley cover called "Redemption Song."

Won't you help to sing
These songs of freedom
Cuz all I've ever had
Redemption songs
These songs of freedom
These songs of freedom

3 comments:

Diane S. said...

Sara sends Diane to Rhapsody yet again...

Another gem.

And you danced to "Rock the Casbah" as a baby? God, I feel old!!

Diane S. said...

I got to see the Clash. In Amarillo, Texas of all places. My first full immersion baptism into Punk Rock. I was 22.

american short-timer said...

Hey Sara, good shit. Finally had some time, been reading through as much stuff as I could. Good to see you're writing's coming along well and sounds like you are adjusting back to life. You taking an archaeology course.... is that FOR REAL? Like, when I was a little tiny wee shit, that was my thing. Shoulda stuck with that and never cracked those filthy rotten Nam paperbacks.... bah. My own immaturity sickens me to tears... anyhow, you're doin' well and that's all that matters!!!!!!!! Hey Sara! Since you're on campus, can you take some time out and do some recruitin' amongst those collegian bubbleheads? Ask 'em who supports the war and the prez and then politily suggest to stick their asses where their convictions are, or something like that.

Rock on Sara!!!!!