Friday, February 03, 2006

Le Sigh

I've come to the understanding and gradual acceptance of the fact that no matter how wonderful of a relationhip I'm in, I will have huge and embarassing crushes on random people that I'm not dating. It's an inevitablility, so I might as well try and see the humor in it, right?

As you might have guessed, there's this boy.... I won't say much about him, but suffice to say the instant he walked into the room I knew there was going to be trouble. "No WAY is he in this class!" I thought, "How am I supposed to learn anything with THAT in the room?? He is distractingly gorgeous!" So I set about convincing myself that he's gay. Then, in my twisted logic, he would cease to be such a distraction.

Yesterday, an old friend of mine from high school invited me out to a drag show in downtown. Yes, I mean drag show as in men dressed up as women. It's supposed to be a raunchy, funny performance and it sounded like fun.

Naturally, this set me thinking about running into The Crush at the show. Then I'd know once and for all if he's gay!! "AA HAA HAHA!" I cackled to myself as I rode the streetcar that night. "What a brilliant plan!" And just as I thought that, I turned to look out the window from where I was standing and who do I see sitting RIGHT NEXT TO ME? Oh yes, it was him, not two feet away.

I swallowed a yelp and set about staring intently at my shoes. A few moments later he got up and stood directly in front of me, slowly putting on his scarf and then his jacket and then his bag, all the while looking right at me, probably trying to figure out where he's seen me before. I, in the meantime, was trying my damndest to crane my head out in any direction but his. In retrospect, I'm sure it was pretty damn obvious.

No words were spoken. For me, this was because I was afraid that "hi" would come out as a shrieking, "HOLY BEJESUS YOU'RE HOT!!!!!" As for him, it probably has something to do with the fact that he doesn't know my name.

Turns out that I never made it to the show, never caught up with my friends and didn't verify The Crush's potential gayness. I did, however, learn that he's adorably shy and dresses like a cute Portland hipster outside of class. Dammit.

7 comments:

Middle Child said...

Same here sara...all the hotties are gay. They generally look after themsleves...I guess the competitions stiff out there.

But then again if someone is too beautiful, how do you relax with that... but its great to look and imagine...

We can do it so much better than guys, apparently we have better periphal vision than them so we seem more out of the corner of our eyes without turning our heads than they do. Thats why gals always catch their homely boyfriends turning their heads ever so slightly to look at the tall fake blonde with the fake teeth, the fake breasts, the fake smile and and and I am 5'3 never had a blonde hair since I was 6 and now 51 and I can sneakily look as much as I like because no one would ever suspect what we old diddies were thinking...

Sara said...

hahaha, you guys are awesome. :)

Diane S. said...

I'm with Charlie. Crushes are the spice of life.

And why not have just said, "Holy Bejesus you are hot!!!" In the greater scheme of things, what do you have to lose?

ginaemory said...

Ah, the Random Crush. What would life be without it? I have had many in my life, and I have totally said "Holy BeJesus you're hot!", or some version thereof, without even realizing it until after it spewed from my mouth, and realized how much the recipient of said verbal explosion enjoyed it. :) Everyone loves a compliment, Sara. You should have said it to him. I'll bet he's NOT gay. Now you can really get distracted in class. BTW, what class is it?

Middle Child said...

Heath Ledger is an Aussie...we colonials know how to work the system bettern any one.

Sara said...

Sarah - I need to see that. Jake Gyllenhall makes my mouth water... mmmmmm...

Gina - It's in archaeology, a class I'd actually be interested in, if I could pay attention!

Middle Child - he's an Aussie, huh? DAMN there are some hotties from down there!

Everyone - The main reason I didn't say anything is because he's in my department and the chances of having to work with him in the future are high. I'd like to avoid future discomfort on both of our parts.

Diane S. said...

The main reason I didn't say anything is because he's in my department and the chances of having to work with him in the future are high. I'd like to avoid future discomfort on both of our parts.

I can hear that. But Sara, life is short and you only get one shot. Roll the dice, girl.