Saturday, October 01, 2005

Mysteries

Last night, 4:45 am to be exact, my phone turned itself on. Funny thing is, it was already on. It's been in the back of my mind all day and tonight we watched Donnie Darko which got me thinking about strange things. To top it off, my dad says that his phone also turned itself on this morning; all the buttons and lights came on while it was powered down. I can't figure out what would have caused it. First off I would say it had something to do with the Verizon network, but how does the network control the power of the phone? If you go out of a reception area your phone doesn't turn itself off. The power shouldn't be connected or even related to the information the phone receives; they're two separate systems. Was there a power surge? Again, the phone shouldn't turn off just because the charger did. Then again, if there was a surge it might have produced enough energy to shock the system into restarting. But maybe I'm underestimating the power of the cell phone provider and maybe Verizon can send a signal to its phones that causes them to turn themselves on, even if they already are. Or maybe Dad is right and the CIA is spying on me.

4 comments:

Sara said...

And who are THESE people??? I just posted this like 5 minutes ago and they've already attacked!

Anonymous said...

Sara, these are "comment spam-bots". They scan web servers where many people keep their blogs -- like Blogger, etc. -- and take advantage of the fact that all of them use the same format for comments. It's like sending out spam e-mail, but instead of only one e-mail recipient seeing the contents of the spam, it's not only you but also everyone who looks at your comment page. Look at comments for your entries for a couple of months back; you've had this problem before.

By the way, cell phone networks can turn your phone on and off remotely. When I had trouble with my Cingular phoen, I found out that, when it is off and connected to a charger, it will automatically connect itself to a network and update its software, etc. With no risk of the user deciding to make a phone call mid-update and screw it up, it is the way they maintain these things. It's just not something that they normally do. It might be a glitch in the computer system that controls Verizon's network in your area.

-- Eugene

Anonymous said...

Sara, these are "comment spam-bots". They scan web servers where many people keep their blogs -- like Blogger, etc. -- and take advantage of the fact that all of them use the same format for comments. It's like sending out spam e-mail, but instead of only one e-mail recipient seeing the contents of the spam, it's not only you but also everyone who looks at your comment page. Look at comments for your entries for a couple of months back; you've had this problem before.

By the way, cell phone networks can turn your phone on and off remotely. When I had trouble with my Cingular phoen, I found out that, when it is off and connected to a charger, it will automatically connect itself to a network and update its software, etc. With no risk of the user deciding to make a phone call mid-update and screw it up, it is the way they maintain these things. It's just not something that they normally do. It might be a glitch in the computer system that controls Verizon's network in your area.

-- Eugene

Sara said...

Oh, I've run into these guys before, just not so quickly. I was amazed at the speed with which they struck. That post hadn't been up five minutes when they hit.