Saturday, October 22, 2005

Negligent Discharges

Great name for a band, huh? Apparently, and my source shall remain anonymous, my old brigade has been having some problems with negligent discharges. In case you're confused, a negligent discharge is army-speak for accidentally firing your weapon. It used to be called 'accidental discharge' but that wasn't an accusatory enough phrase, so it was changed to 'negligent' to emphasize the dumbassity of such an action. The number one excuse for a negligent discharge? "I was cleaning my weapon and..." Right. The first thing *I* do when cleaning my million dollar gadegtry enhanced M4 is put a round into the chamber, flip the safety off and pull the trigger. I mean, that's the fastest way to clean a weapon, right? Anyway, my old brigade was experiencing a string of these incidents and the BDE commander was fed up and declared that everyone would receive a class taught by a commissioned officer. I guess it takes a college degree to explain to the underlings why firing bullets at things you didn't intend to shoot is a bad thing. However, the BDE commander must have missed his own class, as recently he himself - the INFANTRY COLONEL - had a negligent discharge of his M9 pistol. What a tard. How fucking glad am I these people don't run my life anymore?

On the short list of people in Iraq that I do like, Tony is back in the states! Woohoo! He called last night to inform me that he was 3 Guinness into a layover in Ireland and that he had another hour before his flight left for New York. Lucky for him, he bought me a gift of some sort of Irish moonshine. Hope he managed to stumble onto the plane.

This morning Mom and I footed it through town leaving fliers explaining all the doom a new ugly development in our little town will bring. It was quite fun to be doing something for my community for once. I even got to wear a button!

Two days until Tony is here!!!

No comments: