Thursday, October 06, 2005

...And the boredom sets in

Knew it was going to happen eventually. I actually got a lot of stuff done today, but I feel like I've done nothing. Tony's not online and I didn't get an email from him today either, so I'm lonely too. Sigh.
The pitfalls of being unemployed and living at home are pretty minimal, I guess. No more First Sergeants who hate their lives and try to ruin everyone else's; no more Colonels gunnin' for a star who send us out on shitty "movement to contact" (ie: "get ambushed on purpose") missions; no more ruck marches in the snow or radio checks all by myself in the driving rain; no more slipping on the ice and falling on my face/ass while walking to the motorpool for the 30th fucking time; no more listening for whistles and exchanging knowing looks or determining if that 'boom' was incoming or outgoing; no more showering in the dark with a water bottle; no more digging holes in the rocky ground at night for my bed (and my interpreter's); no more ice crystals forming on my eyelashes during a 5-mile run when it's -20 degrees; no more peecho; no more 250 sq ft concrete room shared with a person that I didn't pick out and heaps of equipment I'd rather not have; no more carrying 3/4 of my body weight in gear around at 8,000 ft; no more gut-wrenching Chinook rides with pilots screaming obscenities; no more hoping a bus would hit me so I wouldn't have to get Stoplossed and go to Iraq.... in short, no more army = way less shittyness!
It wasn't all bad today, I guess. Aside from not getting rocketed, I got some good couch time re-Oregonizing myself. My parents have a split-level and the living room downstairs at the front-door has no television or stereo or anything like that. It almost seems like a waste of the only good furniture in the house, but I beg to differ. The simple setting, couch, love seat and chair, around a large stone-heart, wood burning fireplace and a view of the mountains is all ya need - that and a good Oregon brew like one of the Rogue Ales. I seem to remember enjoying the view here as a kid, but as I only lived in this house for a year, I don't think I built quite as much of an appreciation as I have for it now. Everytime I look out the windows, both upstairs and down, I am amazed. With the clouds and fog moving in all the time it constantly changes things. Hills and trees appear, new lighting turns a stand of trees a different color. I'm making it a point to spend some time downstairs everyday just staring out at the view, sipping on a beer, enjoying Oregon and enjoying my life again.

No comments: