The grizzled vets who have been living on their own for quite some time - and yet are probably younger than me - may laugh at my ignorance, but today I discovered just how much goes into a kitchen. I was mainly concerned about dishes, silverware, and pots and pans. As I pushed my cart through the rather small Target in Eugene, I ran across all sorts of gadgets that I would imagine are absolutely essential to cooking anything other than coffee, oatmeal and frozen pizzas. Things such as measuring cups, spoons, glasses; spatulas, tongs, flippers (is there an official word for those things?); cheese graters, mixing bowls, salt and pepper shakers; all of these things I recall using at one time or another when cooking with mom - and all I ever made were cooking and french toast! I'm gonna starve.
In the good news section, Tony got a 145 out of 150 at his promotion board and was recommended to Sergeant! Woohooo! Let's hear it for the sexy beast!
The rain is here. We'd all been wondering when it was going to show up. It's unusual to have so many beautiful, sunny days in a row here in the Willamette Valley. I don't mind the fog and rain, but it makes me sleepy and unmotivated. I seem to spend most of my time on the couch downstairs watching the clouds roll in from the coastal mountains. heh, just a short time ago I'd have killed to have been doing exactly that! Tomorrow I will take Harper for a walk. I didn't tonight and the past two nights have just been around the neighborhood. There are lots of good trails around here, some that are particularly beautiful now that the leaves are changing. There is no reason to get soggy walking around the neighborhood when I can get soggy with much better scenery just down the road.
Saturday, October 01, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Thanks for stopping by Daniel's blog and leaving that comment. It is wonderful to see people support him.
ON another note - the kitchen! I love to cook and bake and over the YEARS, yes years, I have acquired a very nice collection of kitchen things. As you have noticed, there is so much out there! I would recommend starting with only essentials that you know you will need. As time goes on and you cook more or want to bake, you'll have to go and get one or two things. I love the gadget aisle! I always get sidetracked - like I need one more gadget! But the weird thing is that I still don't own everything that one COULD own!
Target - oh so dangerous for me!
It sucks me in like in a time warp and then sucks the money out of my account because I can't control myself!
I was very very close to being in a situation similar to Daniel's. At the 4 1/2 year mark of a 5 year contract, I got told that I was going to be Stoplossed and sent to Iraq, with an estimated departure date of what would have been my ETS. It would have been a minimum of 14 extra months on my contract. I was a bitter individual until just 3 weeks before we were supposed to leave, when I was told that our unit was getting some new linguists, ones who actually spoke Arabic (I was a lowly Korean linguist) and that my presence would not be required. Daniel and Zach's blogs were things I read prior to deployment to prepare and make myself feel better about a shitty situation. So it's they that need the thanks!
Hey there "Sara" hahaha
This is Tony (aka Yang). Two things:
1. You should've stopped by Wyoming on your way back!! Montana sucks- Wyoming's better!! Anyways, I'm attending school at Univ. of Wyo. in Laramie, 2 hours north of Denver.
2. I hope you are enjoying civvie life and getting acquainted with home. Good luck with everything and take care.
Adios>
Regards,
Tony
I'm-so-glad-I'm-not-a-linguist-or-98-fellow
Post a Comment