Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Why is it raining in Portland? Pt II

Finally, the saga continues. Sorry for the overdramatic wait, it's not really THAT exciting.

Anyway. I decided to not go to the Timbers game, as there was another one the next weekend, and the Starlight Parade is an annual event. I got downtown an hour early and there were already throngs of people. Many, many people seemed to think that it's ok to put some chalk or tape on the ground saying a piece of the public sidewalk is "reserved." I think these people should be peed on. What laziness! How bout ya save your spot like the rest of us.... by SITTING IN IT!!!! I finally found a spot near a corner with a wall to lean on and watch the kids playing catch in the street. There were cops and news crews everywhere.

The parade itself was preceded by a "fun" run. I spent many a day explaining to my superiors while I was in the army that just because the words "fun" and "run" happen to rhyme does not mean that they have anything to do with each other. However, this run did seem kind of enjoyable. I may even sign up next year! It's basically a 3.1 mile costume contest. Many cute boys with very little clothing came streaming past, followed by other cute boys wearing things ranging from Pabst beer boxes to togas. One team of people wore a mock up of the new, overpriced streetcar that is causing such turmoil in Portland. I was already glad I came down.

The parade itself was fantastic! I really don't think I've ever had so much fun at a parade, even when I was a kid and the firemen would hand out candy to me. There were three contingents of bagpipers - the Portland Police Bureau has its own Highland Guard (WTF? How far are we from the Highlands?). There were four - FOUR - contingents of pirates. Who knew? Remember when I blogged about the Stormtroopers who were marching around downtown around Christmas? They were in the parade, too! I wasn't hallucinating the first time! (They even have a website!) Other highlights for me were the Mexican laredo dancers, the Master Gardeners (old people dressed up as vegetables, carrying rakes and pitchforks) and the dragon boat float. Yes, a dragon boat. How cool can you get? Of course there were about 20 high school marching bands as well. I was not in the marching band in high school, but that was only because we didn't have one. I'd have joined in a heartbeat. Of course, I was even more jealous of the school with the pipe and drum band!

About two hours in it started raining. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. By the time the parade ended an hour later, nearly midnight, I was drenched and shivering. Not to worry though, as the train was so crammed that being cold was not an issue. All kinds of drunk, happy people smiled and told jokes and helped each other find seats and get out the door at their stops. I heard at least four foreign languages and everyone seemed as content as I was. I ended up having to walk a mile home, as the particular train I was on wasn't going as far as my stop, so I didn't get home until about 1:30am.

I immediately got online to badger my little sister and insist that she come stay with me the following weekend for an even bigger parade, dragon boat races and a soccer game (whew!). It's the weekend before finals, though, so I've got to get my studying done before she shows up.

There are many great photos of the Starlight Parade by a guy named pdxjeff. (after the fireworks pics)

1 comment:

Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

I'm with Charlie...great line, Sara! Hoooooooo Aggggggghhhhh!

The pics are great! Someone has a nice camera. Glad you enjoyed the festivities, and it is funny that indeed someone did "rain on your parade"... :>)

Peace.