Tuesday, June 13, 2006

There are only two things I really care about in the world of sports: soccer and the Steelers. So yesterday when the U.S. played like a high school rec team, and was embarassed by the Czech Republi,c I was a little upset. And when at halftime it was announced that the Steelers QB, Ben Roethlisberger, was in a motorcycle accident in which he wasn't wearing a helmet, I was really upset. I mean, this is the time of year in which I don't need to even think about the Steelers, and their QB has to go and nearly get himself killed during a U.S. match? Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez! As my sister said, "Ben, you wear a helmet for you JOB! You couldn't wear one when RIDING YOUR FREAKIN' MOTORCYCLE????"

At least South Korea won. I was a little nervous as I had to leave at halftime when they were down 1-0. I mean, they were playing Togo fer chrissakes! I'd have to have given my 'Be the Reds' shirt to Goodwill if they had lost.

It's finals week. This means I sleep little and spend the days procrastinating when I should be studying. It's all over Thursday, though! Then it's freeeeeeeeeedom! A few weeks of my first summer vacation in over five years!

2 comments:

Diane S. said...

I had exactly the same thought about Roethlisberger. "You wear a helmet at work to protect you from guys coming at you at 20 mph, at the most, but you don't wear one on a motorcycle.

What a tragedy.

Sara said...

Diane - Ben has a special place in my heart (not literally, I hate that phrase, but my phrase thesaurus left after finals. It'll be back hopefully by the next school term.) as he is only two months older than me. He won his first Superbowl at the age of 23! QB is a position that requires a lot of thinking and maturity and it's impressive as hell that he did this at such a young age, and for the STEELERS!!! My sister, and of course my dad, were distraught. Phones were ringing throughout the family that day to relay and update the tragic news. Looks like he's going to be ok, though. Whew!

Charlie - were you hiding behind the furniture when Terry made that save? If he wasn't Man of the Match than there just isn't justice in this world. Defenders always get ignored unless they do something wrong. Hell, I'm a defender and I ignore them! I almost started cheering for T&T when they took out Michael Owen and left in that tall dude... Crouch (what a name)... Of course he ended up scoring later, but still, he was playing much worse than Owen. Not that Owen can do much wrong in my book...