Sunday, June 11, 2006

So.... tired....

After the snore of an England match (Charlie already commented that, indeed, the goal I missed was the only one of the game) Lena (youngest sis) and I went down to the parade. Actually, we went to downtown to sit around for four hours before a parade came through. It was not as cool as the Starlight parade of last week, but enjoyable anyway. Highlights for us included the old Japanese ladies who did a traditional dance to Japanese techno, and the fiesta float with a band playing on top.

We came back in the afternoon, supposedly just to drop off our chairs and things, but we both ended up crashing for two hours. As soon as we woke up, we rushed back downtown to watch our semi-pro team, the Timbers. Real live games are even harder work than the ones televised in the middle of the night. You actually have to clap and cheer and stuff. I'm actually kind of embarassed that I hadn't been to a Timbers game yet; even Lena has and she doesn't even live here! Anyway, they're quite fun. The mascot runs around with an actual chain saw whirring over his head! The game ended 0-0, but it we got some exciting near-misses, one of which caused me to fall out of my chair (it was one of those that flips up when you stand, and I kind of forgot that and sat back down again.... straight onto the concrete).

After the game, we walked down to the water to witness the Rose Festival madness, and to walk across the Hawthorne bridge and look at the city at dusk. We got home at around midnight. No sleeping in though! Mexico started at 9:00 and I think my whole neighbhorhood had on their radios/televisions by 8:30 (I live in a pretty immigrant dense area). So far it's a good game!

No comments: