Because it's the Rose Festival! Duh! What is this Rose Festival, you speak of, Sara? Good question. It's a two and a half week party with parades, fireworks, boats, flowers, art and various other fun things. The best part is that it isn't a celebration of government, or business, or war, or religion. Nope, this is Portland, and we celebrate... roses. Seriously.
It kicked off on Thursday and I knew something was up the instant I left the house, way out here in 'burbia. The traffic with thick and snarled, even more than usual. "Hmm, looks like the bridges came up," I mused. Portland is centered over the Willamette River and when barges come through, some of the major bridges have to be raised to fit them through. Traffic is messed up throughout the region. I got on the extra-crowded train to hear some guy tell stories about how when he was fifteen he jumped off the back of one of the ships at the Rose Festival. Light bulbs went off. Guess I was right about the bridges!
Friday there was a huge firework show, the biggest in Oregon, down on the waterfront. I was almost too close to it, kinda like at a movie theater when you sit in the front row and have to crane your head to see both corners of the screen. But I love fireworks and the show was pretty impressive.
[[[And to the ASSHOLE(s) firing the cannon BEHIND the crowd, without warning...... you SUCK! The old hippy who was standing next to me and I both ducked and nearly screamed. "Whoa! Man, Whoa!" the old hippy hollered. It took several minutes for my heart to regain its normal rhythm and the first part of the firework show was tainted with the remnants of panic adrenaline. Thanks a lot, dicks.]]]
After the show I walked up the Hawthorne Bridge to get a look of the city and the river. While I was up there they raised the bridge, stranding me on the other side. It worked out well, however, as they raised it to let through two PIRATE SHIPS!
Saturday, the pirate ships were to have a battle, so I came back downtown excited as hell. Alas, the info was wrong and there was no battle, but I did get a better look at the boats and the pirate crew. I also got in a nice walk along the waterfront, through downtown and then through campus.
I then went home to contemplate whether I wanted to go to the Timbers soccer game or this 'Starlight Parade' I was hearing everyone on the MAX talk about.
...to be continued...
Sunday, June 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
WHAT? I MISSED PIRATE SHIPS?
Post a Comment