Monday, June 05, 2006

Slice of Campus Life

Before I get to finishing part two of the "Why is it raining in Portland?" series, I just have to share this scene. My university straddles the South Park Blocks, which is several North-South running blocks of trees, benches and statues. Because it's a park it's a public area and any sort of lunatic is welcome to hang out here and campus authroities can't really do much about it. A few weeks ago Shouting Jesus Man was present for lunchtime and was screaming doom upon the hapless students trying to enjoy their lunch in the shade. Today there is a man holding a sign that says, "WARNING baby killing women, so-called Christians, prideful people, homosexuals, porno freaks, muslims, rebellious women, drunks, mormons: JUDGMENT COMING." One hundred feet away a student band is playing "Keep on Rocking in the Free World." I love this place.

Update: Now a lady is standing on a bench, waving her hands around, probably talking about Jesus (although I can't hear her). In response, a group has formed an impromtu jazz ensemble to drown out the nonsense. Again, I love this place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Screaming Jesus Guy! I totally know that guy, actually. Well, I don't KNOW him know him (if you know what I mean (har har)), but I've seen him on the Park Blocks almost every time I walk around that area.

sheesh..