I've been having some serious connectivity troubles this past week and therefore haven't been able to post much, comment much or even read much. I haven't been able to check my email, check my grades, apply for a job, find an apartment or anything else important or trivial that requires an internet connection. I'm about to start chanting and dancing around the modem. Anyone know any good moves that properly honor the Gods of the Internet? I seem to have annoyed them greatly.
In any case, I'm heading out to a place that barely has a phone signal, let alone an internet connection, until Monday. Fortunately, there is a TV, so I'll only miss a few World Cup games. Perhaps the connectivity issue will have fixed itself (hey, if it broke itself it can sure as hell fix itself, right?) and I can post again.
In the meantime, here are a couple good sites to visit:
Thank You Lt. Ehren Watada A U.S. Army officer who has refused to deploy to Iraq on the grounds that it's an illegal war and participating would be following an illegal order, which, as we all know, is illegal itself. Ok, what that means is that you are required to disobey an illegal order. It's in the Geneva Conventions. It's also a fine way to screw a soldier, by making too many rules for them to possibly remember and then reaming them with "you obeyed an illegal order and it's therefore YOUR fault for not knowing the law." In any case, this a brave guy. Who the hell knows what sort of punishment he will face. All I know is that it will be ugly. He's already confined, under a gag order, and being held without charges.
An Inconvenient Truth Or, the Al Gore movie. Or ClimateCrisis.net. I just saw the movie today and thought it was great. It's depressing and uplifting all at once. He does an excellent job of taking boring data and bringing it to reality in a way that doesn't make you want to gouge your eyes out. AND it's easy to understand, even for this non-scientist!
Friday, June 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Oh, I'll catch the England match, it's just the ones this morning and Monday morning that I'll miss due to traveling.
Hi Sara, is that called the "Nuremburg something or other"? How do I find that Geneva convention thingie. I have been reading some stuff on Gulf War Syndrome and all of that and it is chilling what is being done to people on both sides. I feel we are digging a trough of hatred which will come against us for generations and if I were a mother in the war zone that would be fair enough I guess.
Australia seems to follow the Bush Gov in everything. Most Australiand are ashamed of this. I have yet to talk to one Australian who agrees we should be over there destroying someone elses country.
I have a nephew who just joined the forces because they offered to pay his education. In the future he may need to know how nopt to go to Iraq, but now he's riding on cloud nine because he's getting his degree paid for. They don't give anything away i think...not for free anyway.
thing is... i can't imagine the hell guy's gonna have to live with - but that's probably the bravest things i've heard in a long time
He's being held without charges? Isn't that illegal, even in the military?
(Diane scratches her head and remembers a day when we used to have a constitution that said stuff about due process...)
There's a Patron Saint for the internet, but I'll be damned if I can remember his or her name. Maybe a good Catholic will fill us in.
Nothing more frustrating than a car or an internet that won't work.
Middle Child, the Geneva Convention is available on the net, but it's a LONG read, and has been redone/amended many times.
And of course, the U.S. completely ignores it anyway.
Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»
I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»
Post a Comment