Tuesday, April 11, 2006

*rubs eyes*

This term is much more like the college experience I was expecting when I first started school: lots and lots of reading, many tests and quite a few papers. It's only the second week and I seem to be spending all of my time reading, studying and reading some more. On top of that, I'm trying to get things sorted out for the school I'm attending in Ireland this summer. It turns out that it's kind of difficult to pay for things in other countries when you're not there. What did people do before ATM/credit cards? I actually had to use a fax machine today. I imagine my fax is now sitting in some abandoned paper warehouse, full of dust-covered file cabinets that haven't been opened in a decade. Afterall, who uses fax machines anymore? There's also a rather long reading list for this course and I'm trying to get some of it done before I show up. This involves reading books written in the 1970s about the prehistory of Britain and various excavations in the region, and after about three sentences my eyes feel like they're going to shrivel up into my head. There are pictures, but they are even more dense and dull than the words. Lame!

Outside of school, my cousin is getting married in less than two weeks. Ordinarily, I'd find some convenient excuse to be as uninvolved as possible, but the wedding is five minutes from my apartment, so that severely limits my escape options. Sister 1 has already invited herself to my place for the weekend and Mom has mentioned that she may just drop by for a night or two as well. Dad, I expect, will flee at the earliest convenience.

This wedding may involve two terrible things: I will have to wear a dress (and therefore shop for and buy one) and there will be no alcohol. This last part is a presumption, but I'm already preparing. This girl does not spend the entire day in a dress, sober. Period.

*yawn* It's only Tuesday, I still have another class this evening, and I'm already exhausted. Off to fix myself a packable dinner so I don't starve to death during intro to linguistics.

3 comments:

Diane S. said...

Lots and lots of reading, many tests, and quite a few papers. Yep. Sounds like college. Don't despair, you will really miss it someday.

It is amazing how obsolete fax machines and typewriters have become. There's a second hand shop here which will sell you a high-dollar IBM Selectric for $5.00. No kidding.

You're going to Ireland? Man, I'm SO jealous!

Getting a mohawk got me out of a wedding nicely. It's amazingly difficult to find a (non-punk) dress that goes with a mohawk. If that's really not an option I suggest you start looking now for a dress you can stand, and that has a nice pocket where you can hide a flask of booze. I am supposing Sara with a purse is out of the question?

ginaemory said...

Sara, you and I share a disdain for dresses. The last time I wore one - well, a skirt and sweater - was to a job interview a couple of years ago. Loathe the things, especially pantyhose. So... can't you wear a really nice pair of slacks or khakis and a nice top with a dressy jacket or something? I feel for you.

Sara said...

For some reason, D, your comment was not mailed to me. Hmpf. So you're an archaeologist??? That's pretty damn neat! I'm not so into the cultural thing either, but it's kinda fun. Or maybe it's just the uber-nerdy cultural kids that I enjoy. Today two of them had an argument over ritual so intense that the prof couldn't get in the word that they were both right.