Thursday, April 06, 2006

Time to kill

I have three hours of time to waste and while that's a poor excuse to post a blog, I feel that I should mention a few things. 1) Tony and I broke up. Stupid army. 2) I cut my hair off. and by "I", I mean "someone else and then I when I got home and saw how awful it looked, I cut it some more."

These things should be ample reason to go to the nerdly archaeology lecture this afternoon, as there is a high chance of Hot Guy being present, but I'm afraid that there will be a total of seven people there, thus forcing me to interact with one, some or all of them. I'm not quite comfortable enough in my new look to do that. Lame, I know, but then so what. It's my life and I'm going to be happy, dammit, and being stared at/having to make small talk with strangers is not going to make me happy today.

But I'll tell you about something that did make me happy today: human suffering. This following paragraph was inspired by my old friend Perry, who rejoiced in the suffering of others. He came outright and said it one of those long, pointless days at work where we were forced to sit in our office and stare at the floor, as reading evil, thought-inspiring books was off-limits for some reason. The conversation turned towards TV and the greatest show in the world, MXC. If you've never seen MXC, it's an actual Japanese game show which is then dubbed over in Mystery Science Theater 3000 style. The contestants are put through the most outrageous stunts, many of which result in a violent ending. For example, one of the events involves running through a field of mud and approaching a wall with three doors in it and running full speed through of of them. Two of the doors are made of paper; one is made of wood. If one is correct one goes flying through the paper, lands in a mud puddle and sprints to the next wall; if not correct, the contestant bounces off the door, eyes roll up into the head and a dazed expression is produced. There are other events involving getting smashed with rolling logs, falling long distances on top of hard objects, falling face first onto rocks... you get the idea. It's the best show in the world. Perry announced that because work was so depressing (see, I wasn't the only disgruntled one!), that the only pleasure he got out of life was seeing other people suffer.

Today I was feeling awkward and self-conscious, due to the new haircut. While at the mall with the skating rink in it, a kid came skating near the wall where I was and fell, pulling his friend down and splattering himself onto the ice. I laughed out loud. I got some lunch and sat down to eat it at a spot with a view of a particularly treacherous corner where one kid after another biffed it with new and creative falling techniques. My favorite part was the looks on their faces. It would go from sheer ecstacy to terror. If they had a thought bubble it would say, "laaalala - EEEEE!!!"

Is falling on the ice really that scary? No, but someone important (who I can't remember) once said that the things humans are most afraid of is embarassment. Very true. I've never been ice-skating, but I've been pathetically bad at a number of activities, some of which involved crashing, falling or drowning, so I know the feeling. Everytime those kids fall, they learn something, whether it be eye-foot coordination or how to deal with being horribly embarassed in front of a huge crowd of lunchtime shoppers. So before you think me a bad person, when a kid falls, I'm not just laughing at at his or her misfortune, I'm chuckling and admiring the forces that govern growing up. Really. I promise.

The adults on MXC, however, get no mercy from me. I laugh hysterically at every brutal fall, face-smashing and humiliation. In fact, if the show were on more, I wouldn't have to snicker at the poor kids at the mall, I could just turn on the TV!

13 comments:

Middle Child said...

S'ok...we all laugh at that stuff.

If they are stupid enough to go on those shows for noteriety or cash then what can you say?

Have they not hear how much Quadriplegia impacts on mothers and wives and girlfriends yet the bastards?

Maybe a trip round the neurological wards would be a treat for them the bastards... shit. They piss me off those daredevils always expecting someone else to pick up the pieces when they break bones...and being pissed off when others turn away...

real people who hurt themselves at work or by pure accident thats okay but those bastards who do this shit and bugger up someone elses' life becasue of their nerring do well attitude make me puke ok.

Thats what I think...knowing some of the poor old bloody mothers stuck looking after selfish sons who treat them like shit when they suddenly realise that yes... if you bugger up your spine you have to sit in a wheelchair! But you can treat your mother or wife like shit and they will feel so bad they will have to cop it for decades till one of you dies.

Sorry it pisses me off Sara.

ginaemory said...

I watch MXC (discovered it thanks to youngest son, of course) and laugh my butt off too. And to set your mind at ease, MC, the stunts these folks (men and women in their 20's mostly) participate in don't appear to be capable of inflicting great bodily harm. They are pretty tame, with the worst outcome being humiliation and inundation in some slimy substance like mud or gunk or ??? The dubbing is the best part.

Diane S. said...

Don't sweat the hair. One night in college, after a great deal of tequilla, I agreed to let a friend cut my hair. He cut a sort of mohawk. By sort of, I mean it was crooked, and badly, drunkenly done. So the next day, I went off to have it fixed to a proper mohawk.

All the while I had forgotten one tiny detail. I was supposed to accompany my mother to a wedding at the end of the week. Oops!

Mother refused to allow me to go.

'sokay. I hate weddings.

Barb said...

i've seen my fair share of MXC, i'll 'fess up...and i've laughed every damn time.

Anonymous said...

Did you kill anyone or see any action in Afghanistan?
Please reply.

Sara said...

Ordinarily when people ask shitty questions like that I'd tell them to fuck off and die, but your IP is broadcasting from Ireland so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt in either a) you're Irish and aren't really aware of the customs and courtesies of asking those sorts of questions of returning US vets or b) you're in the US military, stationed in Ireland and I therefore feel kind of sorry for you because, well, you're still in the military.

But no, I did not kill anyone. Directly, anyway. I guess if you string it out far enough, some of the intel I collected probably resulted in some people getting blown up. My team definitely prevented some of MY people from getting blown up, due to luck and timely reporting.

As for action, I had some indirect rocket action, but nothing too serious. My buddy and I had a rocket scream over our guard tower and send some rocks over towards us. That was probably the most serious incident and it was mostly funny at the time. We caught a few IEDs before they blew up. Basically, we were both lucky and smart. I had the pleasure of being attached to an excellent infantry company, and while they drove me crazy most of the time, I'll admit that they did a good job of not getting us MI weenies blown up.

So, anonymous, I answered your extremely personal questions. Now are you going to grace us with your name? Or is that too personal?

Anonymous said...

Did you kill anyone or see any action in Afghanistan?
Please reply.

I wrote that, so why you did you switch from supporting America, U.S. Military and basically
Greatest forward march of freedom in the greater middle east, since the fall of the berlin wall to supporting islamofascism, 9/11, 7/7 London blasts etc Please reply again.

Sara said...

Greatest march of freedom in the greater middle east since the fall of the berlin wall!! BAHAHAHAHAHAA!!! Wow, I didn't realize the fall of the berlin wall had ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE MIDDLE EAST! Or the "greater" middle east, for that matter.

I have to get to class, but I'll finish replying to your idiocy later.

Sara said...

And wow some more. Not only are you rude, but you're an idiot as well. But I'll put it simply so your pea brain might be able to understand: Supporting America does not necesarily equal supporting the war in Iraq. Not supporting the war in Iraq does not equal a support of terrorism. I even go so far to say that supporting the war in Iraq is akin to supporting terrorism, as it has done nothing to slow down the amount of terror in the world and it has contributed to better trained, more experienced terrorists with more reasons to be pissed off at us.

With that formula of Iraq War=Terrorism, tell me DavidT, why do you hate America?

We did not go to Iraq to kill terrorists and to bring freedom and democracy, peace and happiness to the Iraqis. There are oppressed people under terrible regimes all over the world and we're not attacking them.

You're still broadcasting from Ireland, DavidT, why are you not in Iraq if you believe in this great march of freedom so much? Probably the same reason you came over to my personal blog to comment(instead of at OneVeteransVoice which is inhabited by other veterans, some of whom are male and former combat arms guys) and asked me if I've ever killed anyone: you're a fucking coward.

Oh, and please tell me, using a dictionary, what in the flying fuck islamofascism is.

Anonymous said...

You've got Wingnuts! I almost envy you. Almost. :-) In another 3 weeks I'll be a civilian again too. I still haven't decided what I'm going to study when I go back to school, but I eagerly look forward to taunting Yellow Elephants with my dogtags. Quite possibly the only tags in the Army that have SubGenius for religious preference...

Diane S. said...

David T,

One is first led to wonder why it is that you chose to pose your incredibly rude question anonymously, when you are in possession of a blogger ID? I can only surmise that you knew the question to be in the poorest of taste and wished not to be personally associated with having asked it.

As to your subsequent comment: true patriotism demands the questioning of the policies of any presidential administration, as well those of congress, and of one's local governing powers. To do otherwise is to disown the burdens and responsibilities of real citizenship in a participatory democracy. A true patriot should never blindly follow one's leaders, but must instead demand accountability from such leaders as to their actions, their policies, and their agendas. Thanks to the actual patriotism of most Americans, the Bush Administration is in serious trouble. Bush's approval ratings are the lowest of any sitting president ever, and his handling of the war in Iraq has aroused an almost equally united front of derision.

To support the military (which I do) does not mean supporting idiotic, ill conceived, ill planned, and ill justified military action, such as we currently are enacting in Iraq and threatening against Iran. The brave men and women who have risked their lives in service to their country deserve all of our deepest gratitude and respect. The folly of their Commander in Chief does not.

This great forward march towards freedom and an end to terrorism in the middle east is a fiction, David. It simply does not exist. The resurgence of the Taliban in Afghanistan outside of Kandahar has reversed any freedoms immediately gained by the population after the American Invasion, and the concentration of troops and resources in Iraq has made it impossible for us to reverse this trend.

Iraq has disintegrated into civil war, and any attempt to instill a true democracy in that nation can only be judged a failure. George W. Bush is known to have harbored ambitions to invade Iraq as early as 1998 and sadly the course of history provided him with a political atmosphere in which his misguided and largely personal ambition might be realized. It will take generations, both in the U.S. and in Iraq to undo the damage his wreckless actions have caused. One can only hope that his ambitions for military action in Iran are thwarted. For I believe such actions, especially a "surgical" nuclear strike, could possibly lead America to absolute ruin.

I can only echo Sara's assertion that there are oppressive government throughout the globe, and add that many such governments were instituted and are maintained by us. America is ruthless where her economic interests are at issue, and the American government is equally skilled at concealing such ruthlessness as virtue.

The goal of freeing the Iraqi people from a tyrant was a ruse, as was the supposed connection between the Iraqi government and organized terrorism, and the existence of the WMD's. In other word's David, you were lied to. If you persist in believing the lie, the only reasonable conclusion is that you wish to not be disabused of the lie and acquainted with the truth. Why you would make such a choice is known only to you, though I would venture to suspect that you are neo-con wishing to believe that your political movement has led to the betterment of mankind and blindly clinging to this belief in the face of all evidence to the contrary.

While the War in Afghanistan was an unfortunate necessity, the War in Iraq may well have succeeded only in garnering global scorn for America, in saddling America's citizens with a mountain of debt, and awakening the wrath of thousands of potential terrorist. Osama Bin Laden could not have come up with a better recruiting plan if he had tried.

Finally, I must join Charlie in saying that your choice of political ideology is rightfully your own, but your rudeness to a true patriot - one who has risked her life in service to our country - is abominable. You ought to be ashamed, and you ought to apologize.

My apologies to you, Sara, for the lenght of my commentary.

Anonymous said...

32C5R09OW8
ftssoldier.blogspot.com
www.edwardsaid.org
________________________________

My apologies to you, Sara that fool David T is not even Irish.
I am sorry for the offensive statments about your military record.
Like you I was opposed to the iraqi invasion and would support a FULL troop withdraw form that country.
Glad to see you got home safely.

Sara said...

Thank you kind people who responded! The love is very much appreciated!