I'm pretty excited, because a test and a paper is all that's between me and getting to read what I want to read and watching the movies I want to watch. That, and I got to watch some soccer and drink lots of yummy beer today.
I got up early to practically break in the back of the pub to watch the Tottenham-Birmingham game. Not only were the front doors shut, but they had iron gates locked in front. I could see people inside, obviously ordering food and coffee, and the game was on in the background. So I wandered around in the back, not seeing anything promising, when an older guy with a cigarette dangling out of his mouth asked me what I was up to, with a British accent. "Everyone knows ya come in the back to watch the f--, uh, soccer games. We're not officially open until 9." Ohh, everyone, huh? Now that I was officially in the cool kids club, I could direct my late arriving friends to the inconspicuous door and feel all knowledgeable and stuff. Nearly everything I wanted to happen in the game did - Birmingham won, and Robbie Keane scored a bunch of goals (he's on my fantasy team) - save for Keane getting a stupid red card.
But the best part of today was visiting the Holiday Ale Fest, which is a big beer tasting for local seasonal ales. Winter ales are apparently defined by being really strong; there was only one beer under 6.5%, and several over 10%. When I went last year, I spent most of my time jammed elbow-to-stomach under the giant tent. This time we got there right when it opened, so we got a choice of tables and didn't have to wait in line once, even after the crowds started to show up. I tasted a few duds, but was overall pleased with the rest of the stuff I got. My friend and I ended up staying far later than we intended, and a cute guy kept smiling at me and even ventured over to talk once (but was scared off by my friend, accidentally). He seemed like an Oregonian, although as he asked if Widmer's was any good, obviously not a Portlander. He couldn't have been a more stereotypical Northwesterner, though. His beard, flannel shirt and impossibly gruff voice said, "My ancestors cut down trees. With their teeth." He recommended the "Jim" beer, which clocked in at 10% alcohol, to which I politely nodded and went with a safer 7%er.
There's this monster storm - two of them, actually - expected to hit Portland today. There's already been 105 mph winds on the coast and it's been pouring here all day, but not much wind-wise has happened in the city. The one gust that did hit knocked out a corner of the large tent at the beer fest and caused the middle of the tent to partially collapse, which then resulted in gallons of rainwater gushing all over the patrons. I felt sorry for the guy who's going to have to take down all the Christmas lights while in ankle deep water. After the moment of excitement, people cheered. Beer will do that, I guess.
Anyway, I should study a bit, before I have to read by candlelight.
Sunday, December 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
phew, what excitement - clandestine bar entrances, footy, beer, cute guy and an excess of wind! what more could a girl wish for?
Hope the storm was wild and exciting but didn't damage much.
it's changed!!!!!
mff fdmfas jdk !!
I'm working on it.
I officially do not like the new template layout thingy. My links will reappear someday.
it's changed again. phew!
Post a Comment