Friday, December 21, 2007

Can't Sleep, Still Tired

I used to be able to fall asleep anywhere, anytime. I could also stay awake through pretty much anything, if I set my mind to it. 28-hour CQ shifts? No problem. I'd just sleep the rest of the next day, get up for a meal, and sleep another ten hours. So this whole insomnia thing is both new and annoying. Yesterday, or rather today, I didn't fall asleep until 7am! My housemate was already up and moving around the recyclables and taking out the trash, while I lay there with the shakes from being so fucking tired, and yet unable to actually do anything about it. According to the Navy's Sunrise/Sunset table, on the 23rd the sun sets at 4:31, a whole minute later than yesterday and today. Maybe that'll cure it. Yeah.

PS, I'm still not done with my Christmas shopping. Is it over yet?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

insomnia is either a sign of old age (ha!) or an over-active head (ha!). only you know which one in this case :o)

i regularly have long periods of insomnia and have learned to accept them, and to write or read or just fuck about during the the 'free' time. in fact, thinking about it, sleep is boring. i'd much rather be awake, with fucking about being my preferred choice of activities :o))

Anonymous said...

PS christmas shopping sucks

Middle Child said...

Can you find a product called "Sleep rescue remedy" its a bach Flower remedy and harmless... Four or five drops or squirts under the tongue...doesn't make you sleep but seems to stop the head in its mind chatter and sleep comes sometimes. I have had a dreadful sleeping year since my husband was killed by the doctors and the images in my head have been dreadful but this stuff seems to help in these extremes... may help you...not all that pricey and lasts for ages...available over here (Australia) from health Food stores or Valerian (not valium) but herbal Valerian which is non addictive...