Wednesday, April 04, 2007

School's Back On

So it's time for me to procrastinate again by blogging!

[editor (me!) note: I watched a soccer match earlier today and now the narrator in my head is one of those damn English announcers. Odd sounding phrases shall be blamed on that. Oh, and this may be a long post, and not very interesting to boot.]

Spring break brought mixed results. Instead of being energized by the end of yet another exhausting finals week, I was bored out of my mind. I've had a mental list of things to do around the room/house during a break since last summer. These are things like fixing my mandolin case so it doesn't jiggle the instrument around inside, putting a crate of some sort on the back of my bike, getting some posters/frames up on the wall, cleaning, getting straps for my mandolin and camera, possibly getting a couch, etc etc. Things! Instead I laid on my bed and stared at the ceiling until I decided to call home and see if they'd take me. They sure did. I left on Friday night and didn't return until the next Sunday. Ten days of doing little to nothing.

We tried at one point to go to the coast. We'd booked a room in Florence, known for its sand dunes. This is something that we're not known for, this splurging on a hotel for the coast. All were loaded into the ol' station wagon and off we went down the scenic Hwy 34 route. That morning I'd had some strange insomnia and had been up since about 6 am, inexplicably. I'd hoped the car ride would give me a chance to nap. However, 34 is extremely windy in this portion, so sleep was out of the question. Also, I couldn't believe the number of massacred hillsides there were! One after another, massive clear cuts topped the hills; huge swathes of forest were now huge swathes of mud and rubble, just waiting to slide down into the streams and rivers below. So by the time we'd gotten to Waldport, the first stop on the coast before we were to head south to Florence, I was already pretty grumpy.

At the first street light, the lower speeds suddenly allowed us to hear a horrible noise coming from the engine. We pulled over immediately and Dad and I stared under the hood, clueless as to what was causing this grinding sound. Dad's knowledge of cars is only slightly more than mine, and what I know about cars could be scribbled onto the back of a gum wrapper with plenty of room left in the margins for doodling. Since we couldn't afford a mechanic out of town, we decided to drive back. Despite my warnings and protests that we should at least eat our last meal before the car broke down in Deliverance, OR, we drove on anyway. Sure enough, the car quit in Eddyville. Doesn't Eddyville sound like a great place? It sure is. A very nice woman at the post office (the one nonresidential building in 'town') gave us a jump and the car managed another three miles. Totally out of cellphone range and out of sight from anything resembling human settlement (other than the clearcuts, of course) we were stuck. Dad thumbed a ride ten miles down the road until he got cell reception and called a tow truck. An hour or so later that tow truck finally arrived, just as the torrential downpour began. And so went our only adventure of the week.

The rest of the week was just me sitting around, watching rerun soccer games on television, playing video games, plucking at my mandolin and attempting to show my sis some notes on the guitar, and taking the dog for many walks.

***
My new schedule kicks some serious ass. No class on Mondays and Wednesdays until 2pm! No class at all on Fridays!

Unfortunately, all of my classes are extremely into attendance. Not that I'm a big class skipper, but I like the relaxed atmosphere of college and I kind of resent the militarism of some of this term's professors. One class requires attendance because, well, it's friggin' hard, but the others seem to require it because they think it's fun. All kinds of no-brainer assignments that just require your presence and nothing more. One of them has an overcrowded classroom, too! That's the kind of situation where idiots ought to be encouraged to stay home, if anything to free up space for the rest of us. I hope it gets moved to a proper lecture hall, rather than into the highschool-like room it's already in. People were standing yesterday!

***
Today, given my relaxed schedule, I skipped the gym and went to a pub to watch the ManUtd v Roma match. I've taken to liking United partly because they're fun to watch, but mainly because I've been playing too many soccer video games and since I suck, I need a really really good team like them to make up for my lack of ability. But stronger than my love of United is my hatred of all things Italian football. I hate hate hate their national team. While gorgeous (even I have to give them credit there), they were the biggest cheaters and whiners on the planet last summer. If ever one failed to make a successful play on the ball, he'd just flop to the ground, arms pinwheeling around, and then shriek in agony hoping to get a call from the ref. More often than not, he would get that call and magically said injured player would hop right up without even a limp. They cried their way to the final, and nothing made me happier than the look on that dude's face when Zidane headbutted him. *I* would like to have headbutted him. [on review, that sounds a little dirty.] A few of their national team players are on Rome, so therefore I had to cheer against them.

Oddly, the bar was nearly packed (in the middle of the day, no less!), and with plenty of vocal Irishmen. I couldn't tell if they were huge Manchester fans or really just hated the Italian team, but in any case, as Rome won, the bar was mostly filled with shouts of, "fucksake!! ahhh FUCK!!! and FUCKING...FUCK!" While my team didn't win, that part at least made me giggle a little.

***
I have homework and shitton of reading to do, so I best get to it. Afterall, Thursday is my early day with a map lab at 10:00 - pity me, please!

4 comments:

ginaemory said...

My son watched a soccer game in Rome last Saturday. He had a blast. He LOVES soccer, but like you, was not fond of the Italian team winning the World Cup. But he sure enjoyed going to the game with all those Italians. He's going to try to catch a game when he's back in Paris. He prefers the English teams like Arsenal or ManUtd when they're all competing.

Your "adventure" sounds like it could have been one of ours. Stuff like that always happens to us when we go on trips. Sorry for that, but it does make for memories. :)

Sara said...

Ok, I'm jealous. Been to Europe a couple times, but never made a football match. Kind of leary of going alone to some of these - the violence of the past couple games emphasizes why - and I don't exactly travel with my soccer-loving buddies.

As my dad says, someday we'll win the lottery and then we'll go to all the Premiership/German/Spanish/Italian/Brazilian games we want.

ginaemory said...

I know there's been violence at some matches, but I'll bet most of them are no more dangerous than a U.S. football game. :) Yeah, my husband keeps talking about winning the lottery and traveling around Europe....maybe we'll share the next Powerball jackpot! :)

Jonathan's only complaint about the game was that it was general admission and they got there about 10 minutes late so had to stand the whole time, but it wasn't THAT big a deal.

Middle Child said...

Ha ha ha ha ...what a wonderful turn of phrase "and what I know about cars could be scribbled onto the back of a gum wrapper with plenty of room left in the margins for doodling". ...still has me chuckling .