Sunday, April 22, 2007

Portland Timbers 3-1 Puerto Rico Islanders

Despite this buffoonery, we still pulled it off. (There were TWO blown PKs, btw, not just this one.)

And check this out!
We're gonna win the LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAGUE, we're gonna win the league! Ok, I'm hoarse.

We racked up a whoppin' attendance record of 7,805. Go ahead and snicker Euros, this is the US and that's as good as it gets in a league game. We beat opening night of the local baseball (snore!) team by a few hundred. That oughta serve the naysayers right. The friendlies against Necaxa and AC Milan U21's oughta pull a lot in a lot more.

Sheesh, a little bit of alcohol and I turn into my father. He gets kind of worked up about sports. My mom does too, but Dad is more brutal about it. He yells things that are entirely in character for a guy that grew up playing hockey in Pittsburgh with the steelworkers' kids, but seem a little out of place in other contexts. It turns out that screaming, "SMASH HIS FUCKING FACE IN!!!" at a professional soccer game is acceptable and even humorous, but the same sentiment shouted at a coed rec indoor game is entirely inappropriate. Who knew! And I wonder why I got called for a foul everytime I looked at the ball and/or an opposing player. (Ahem, referree? Shoulder and hip checks are still legal in soccer. This isn't Italy, ya know.)

In other sporting news.... C'MON NEWCASTLE!!! I normally cheer for them anyway, but since they're playing against Chelsea, I'll cheer for 'em double. I now have an excuse to root for Man Utd - five of their defenders are injured and their goalkeeper is still recovering from a broken nose. If they can win games with their reserve midfielders filling in as fullbacks, they deserve to win the league. See, they're *kind of* underdogs in that respect.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the rich Chelsea bastards failed to take advantage of Manyoo's slip against Middlesborough, so their Portuguese manager was pouting. Good, I say.

7805 is good too.

Sara said...

haha, I love the stock photos the BBC has of Mourinho. There's Happy photo and Whiney Baby Booboo photo, depending on the direction of the article. And what a face he has! Pouty McPouterton is what my army friends would have called him. Since he's Portuguese though, I guess it'd be Paute de Pautevilla... or something. I especially loved his latest tirade on penalties, like there's some great conspiracy to prevent Chelsea from taking the title. wahwahwah.

Anonymous said...

If there's not a conspiracy, there ought to be :o)