Tuesday, January 09, 2007

An Un-FAB Morning (aka, The Terrible Pun Title)

This morning I reemerged into the Portland street after two hours of American art history ("Art history is taught without light or oxygen," says the prof) with only 11 minutes to get to my next class. Thirty minutes later, I found that next class. It turns out that FAB does not stand for Fifth Avenue Business Center, rather it stands for Fourth Avenue Building, which is not called the Fourth Avenue Building at all, it's called the Fariborz Maseeh Northwest Center for Engineering, Science and Technology or something similar, and it's a business on the first floor. The actual lecture hall was tucked away into a corner of the basement. I think it was a corner anyway; the strange, blocky design structure made it difficult to tell what was a doorway from a hallway and it did nothing for my sense of direction. It reminded me of the Starship Enterprise II. I half expected a "pshhh" sound and someone with a very pronounced browridge and a onesie uniform to enter the hall from one of the doorways.

With that little adventure completed, I was relieved to find the door at the back open. But I noticed with growing trepidation that not one, but ALL of the Notorious Ass Kissers from previous anthro classes were present. These are the people that either a) ask time-wasting questions not in a quest to find the answer, but rather to show off how much they already know; or b) any time the lecturer makes a point they will laugh loudly and then relate some story or anecdote, like someone invited their opinions; or c) in a similar vein to "a" but is in the formed as an argument instead of a question. This time, however, there is also the addition of Creationist Boy who seems to have enrolled himself into an advanced archaeology course in order to argue his religious quack theories with the rest of us heathens who really just want to study archaeology and its methods. The professor took to ignoring him immediately, so he spent THE ENTIRE CLASS putting his arm up and down to try and get her attention. The only reason I didn't hurl a large heavy object at him was because there were multiple (potentially) innocent people in the way. As a counterweight to the overflow of douchebaggery, a friend from high school is also in the class, so at least I'll have company.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I've met at least three people with degrees (one with an MA) that don't "believe" in evolution ("believe" is not the right word, but I'm a bit lazy right now to find a suitable alternative). And if the wonder child in my geography class this morning is any indication ("Alexandria is in Germany, right?"), anyone can go to Portland State. Anyone.