Saturday, January 13, 2007

Hooray for Music!

I had plans this morning. I was going to get up early-ish, around 7, and either bike or bus downtown to Kell's to watch some soccer games. The Horse Brass pub is where I usually go to do such things, as it's right around the corner and usually free. However, they haven't updated their schedule in awhile, and I'll be damned if I'm getting up before 10 for an activity that isn't set in stone. Plus, Kell's wasn't charging a cover for a change. After the games I was going to hit the library as soon as it opened. See, our art history class has reading assigned from a book that one can only find at the PSU library. There is only one copy. Therefore, all fifty of us have to find a way to read it using the two-hour allotted borrowing time. I figured if I got there first thing Saturday morning there wouldn't be a wait. Then, since I was already at the library and in study mode, I was going to finish the reading for the rest of my classes, touch up one assignment, and then get some office supplies that I needed.

Instead of any of these great things, I woke up at 12:30. I wanted to be heading home about then. The cause? Well, last night I was settling on an evening of movies, beer and mandolin playing. However, I no sooner got out said mandolin, when it reminded me that my friend's band was having a show... RIGHT THEN! I rushed over, only to find that it wasn't starting for awhile. What's one to do? Well, I went to the store and bought myself some dinner - spaghetti o's from a can and a couple big bottles of Newcastle. Classy, I know. A few hours, some really great friends and music later, plus a few shots of whiskey, and then... well, you already got the rest of the story. Yawn.

It's nice to see the Corvallis crew doing so well. Three out of the six band members are people I've known the better part of my life. While it's still crazy to me to think that some of my hometown friends now have spouses and kids, it makes me smile to see them enjoying their lives so much. Everyone seemed to be in their element and the music sounded really great; far better than when they played at the big "real" venue a month ago. Last night they were in a much better atmosphere, relaxed, and without a giant, bad sound system, and it came out in their playing. The set ended on a somber note, however, with a song about and for our mutual friend who should have been there, but couldn't, for obvious and sad reasons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the healthy lifestyle, sara :o) Didn't know you played an instrument. Mandolins are the bees knees!

And what can anyone say about your absent friends? So sad.