Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Other Ocean

It's blazing hot in Portland this weekend, so yesterday, instead of sweltering in my AC-less apartment, I took off for the beach, hoping to beat the crowds. I succeeded for the first part of the day and had a beautiful drive through giant trees without any traffic. After spending a bit on the beach, though, the crowds caught up and my great plan of heading south down the coast, stopping at my favorite beaches and the Rogue Ale Pub, was ruined. So I swung east and dropped by my parent's house. My dog was delighted, at least. Went to my sister's indoor soccer game and got to see her score a sweet, bending goal. It was seriously a nice shot - even the other team congratulated her!

Here are some pics of *my* ocean. Forgot how rough the swells are here - in the Atlantic I could stand in the surf and hear a big wave come and think, "Oh shit, I'm gonna get wet!" In the Pacific I think, "Oh shit, I'm gonna DIE!" The waves don't splash here, they roar and thunder and boom. Despite the temperature in Portland, the ocean itself had a weird fog hanging over it and it was at least ten degrees cooler than even the parking lot, 500 feet away.

Neskowin 019

Neskowin 023

Neskowin 028

Neskowin 031
Sea lagoon! Neat, no? This is Proposal Rock, on the beach at Neskowin. There was some massive spray on the right side, but it was too foggy for a decent pic.

4 comments:

Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

Wow. Love the pics. They are, however huge! Perhaps too big for many a monitor... Your margins are all the way to the edge of the screen...I am not sure if you planned it this way, but it is difficult to read. I am not trying to be overly critical, I am just saying that it is harder now to read your lovely and often funny words.

Peace.

Sara said...

Ah, yes, my margins do that occasionally, even when I write too much. Pretty much if I post maybe ten times a month, my profile and links and stuff get pushed down to the bottom of the page on my laptop monitor, and a few more posts or pics and it's screwed up on my desktop monitor as well. I was really mystified by it once, now I don't care. I like big pics. We're in a new month, so they'll get archived in a bit. Woohoo!

Middle Child said...

Great pictures but chicken shit to what we get here in Port Macquarie Australia

Middle Child said...

Sorry, not really chicken shit...the pictures are really wonderful.