Yes, I'm on vacation and I'm reading Gilgamesh. Ok, I'm not really on vacation, I'm technically in school, but since everything we do here is so much fun it doesn't seem very school-like. Besides, I feel I have to make up for that terrible chick-lit book that I got sucked into last week. That was the mental equivalent of eating a twinkie. Gilgamesh, while not really a huge workout, is certainly a lot healthier - like an evening stroll that stretches the legs and gets the blood flowing again.
Speaking of health, the pub is trying to kill me by overfeeding. Today the weather was positively Oregon: drizzle, mist, wind, fog, wind, rain rain rain. After work, I washed the mud off my hands and went straight to the pub and ordered a hot whiskey. Then I ordered roast beef which turned out to be huge and yet so delicious that I couldn't stop eating it, even long after I'd been full. And then they told me that they had brownies...... lord above. I didn't move for a full twenty minutes. Then I ordered a beer. I love this place.
Scol Acla is still going on, which means there are tons of musicians in town and a bunch of cute little kids learning to play traditional instruments. There's music every night into the wee hours. Tonight promises to be a particularly late night, so I'm going to have a nap and a shower before I head out again.
Yesterday I saw a pirate castle, so that's more than likely going to be my next post! Aren't you excited!
Thursday, July 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Enkidu and Gilgamesh.
Fine story, the oldest written story.
Sure they probably slept together but that was the fashion at the time. And they sure define a story that's been re-told...geez, how many times? And consider the repercussions of the story and those re-tellings. Some good, some pretty awful.
Potent stuff you read there, Miss.
On archaeologists - yes. You're observations keen enough to work with, and apparently your taste for booze will keep you in with the natives. Add a hungry brain, and you'll fit right in!
Archaeologists in the Upper Great Lakes are among the worst of the lot. We have proscribed rewards of alcohol, to be donated by the crew, for various specific artifacts recovered. ENcourages good and careful excavation.
If you decide to pursue archaeology as a profession, let me know. I may of help.
Do you happen to be left-handed?
-dannyinwisconsin
Pirate castles? YES, please! I'm so jealous of your travels! I forgot you were leaving, so I'll stop leaving messages on your phone about various punk shows in Portland...whoops!
Have tons of fun.
Post a Comment