Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Busted my ass... literally

Tonight, while performing the arduous task of pulling a document out of the printer, I strained what I imagine to be my glute muscle. I guess that's a more polite way of saying I broke my ass. Not only is it embarrassing and painful, but I have to miss again the intramural soccer game I've been invited to for the past two weeks. I haven't even met the guy managing the team yet. He's going to think I'm the biggest flake on earth after this.

The document I was pulling out of the machine was some notes from my English history class, which has so far been really disappointing. Any professor that takes attendance instantly causes me to resent the class. I'm an adult. If I don't want to come to class, that's my decision. I'll face the consequences - but those consequences should be not performing as well on the test and/or essays as I've missed important information. If you need to trick people into coming to class by assigning ticky-tack work due every few days, or by docking points for not being in attendance, perhaps you need to think about how effective your lectures are. I don't think students should be rewarded just for showing up in class, even if they don't know the material, and I don't think students should be punished simply because they didn't HAVE to go to class to understand the material. Effort shouldn't be rewarded without results. Anyway, this instructor is all about ticky-tack assignments and almost worse, discussions. I don't give money to the university to learn about history via a fellow undergrad. So, I haven't been to class a whole lot due to plain ol' disgust, but I probably have missed a lot of information. Let's hope the test tomorrow goes alright (I have done a shit ton of reading).

Gad, my ass hurts.

PS, Firefox thinks 'gad' is a word. Interesting.

6 comments:

Middle Child said...

Thats why they call it Glutemuis Maximus (scuse the spelling) ha ha...not funny.

Reading heaps is the best thing you can do for history etc and general knowledge. Beats the hell oput of by rote or sucking up to some jaded profs ego...

j kieselguhr said...

just tell 'em you've been working your ass off. and question: how were you attempting to remove the paper from the printer?

Middle Child said...

Got to add this Sara...in the Comedy Fawlty Towers there is an episode when the Basil (very English) was serving an American who demanded faster service...he told Basil to tell the waiter he'd "Bust his ass" if it wasn't quicker...Basil went into a funk and ended up saying he'd "break his bottom" instead...

We've gotten used to the term "Bust your ass" from tele but its definately a US based term...down here it'd be more a "kick up the backside" we don't really have an eqivalent... funny... an ass is like a donkey isn't it...we call it arse.

Sara said...

Ohhh, I absolutely loved Fawlty Towers when I was a kid! Couldn't tell you how many times one of the parents burst into the living room to tell us to quiet down as my sisters and I were laughing so damn hard at some late night BBC America show - Fawlty Towers, Absolutely Fabulous, the Monty Python skits.

Heh, and "bust your ass" has three meanings in American: 1) to kick someone's ass, like a threat; 2) to work extremely hard. Like, "I busted my ass all weekend to get this project done."; and 3) to catch someone doing something they shouldn't, ie "they busted his ass trying to sneak the flask into the stadium."

The word "arse" makes me laugh. Probably one of the reasons I found those British shows so funny.

Sara said...

Oh and Charlie... it was a *really heavy* piece of paper. ;-)

Middle Child said...

You all come back there okay?