First of all, No Pity Ale is one aptly named beverage. Criminey. Second, the limeys lost to our "3rd rate yank team," as one messageboard poster called us, and now their coach is all wah wah wah about it. The turf! The ref! Wahhhh! Yeah, the ref sucked, but the ref always sucks. Shitty refereeing is as constant as the shitty surface at PGE; it's not like they brought out the dud just to spoil PNE's last match in the U.S..
But, to the point. I have nothing to do this winter. This is due to my department at PSU only offering a certain degree-requirement class once a damn year, which means that while my credits are fulfilled by December, I have to wait until April to get that last class. Graduating in June as opposed to December is pretty disappointing, but that's life, I guess.
I do have a list of options for this winter, which have already been mentioned: more school, take advantage of my last year of eligibility for a student rate Eurorail pass, work some shitty minimum wage job, etc. Just added to the list is teaching English in Korea. The first downside to that that comes to mind is that Korea is fuckin' ugly in the winter. Brown, brown, brown with a backdrop of grey. Second downside, is that I've already been there and while I miss it, I'm not sure I want to spend another three months. The advantage to working in Korea is that it usually pays well, and even if it all goes to hell, I speak Korean, I've lived there before and know how to function, and I have friends that are still there.
I'm also looking at internship/volunteer/field school stuff for archaeology. I found one for Malta (how cool would that be!), but I'm pretty sure I'm already past the deadline, as it's more of a study abroad than a normal work position.
The job fairy needs to get her act together and drop a deal on my head that involves good pay in a warm, foreign place that doesn't have any work visa hassles. Is that too much to ask for?
Sunday, July 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Go to Malta if you can...somewhere like that. How wonderful it would be... my book shelves groan with ancient history books...when recently in Melbourne at the Gallery they had sections on Egyptian, Summerian and other...I just wanted to "touch" ...no I didn't. But it takes my breath away to see th creations of human beings who lived 2 or 3 thousand years ago and to know that nothing I do or create will live on much past my lifetime, if even that much... due to life circumstances I haven't travelled there but in my head...
Malta sounds good. There are miles of underground tunnels there I have heard and the people during WW2 would use this tunnel system when they needed to, and if they could...
you speak korean?????
Yarp. That was my job in the army, when it was convenient for them (usually when I had a proficiency exam coming up). Otherwise I was an Electronic Warfare/Signals Intelligence Voice Interceptor. Everyone of these dudes has to have a language; then they're assigned to a unit ostensibly because in the event of a war in an area that speaks that particular language this unit is on the shortlist to deploy. But then the (Russian, Korean, Spanish) linguists go to Iraq/Afghanistan with 2 years of taxpayer-funded training and use a native-speaking interpreter instead.
Hooray army.
Come to Pittsburgh? Ummmmm....okay, stop laughing.
...it was worth a try. This town is weird.
xoxo
Jenn
Pooh on Korea. Although I guess I'm going to Korea next summer to visit so I can't say anything. Keep me posted though--if you're there you need to induct me into the soju madness. Btw, you're getting all these long overdue comments from me because I finally figured out how to comment. Remember: I am computer RETARDED.
Post a Comment