Saturday, July 07, 2007

The week in review

Yawn.

It's been hot, I've had some schoolwork to do. That about sums up the majority of the week. Wednesday, the fourth, was pretty cool, though. The previous day, in an attempt to get home at a reasonable time and pick up groceries on the way, I got on the MAX.... on the wrong line. How I mistook red for yellow I still don't understand, but when I figured it out, three stops beyond the point where the two lines diverge, I ran into a friend who then invited me to his 4th o' July BBQ. I accepted thinking that maybe I'd get to meet some new people.

It turns out, however, that he lives with some old Corvallis friends of mine and even more of them showed up! These were people I haven't seen in at least 7 years. There was plenty of beer, plenty of food, plenty of other neat stuff. And, as coincidence would have it, I ended up in left in a room with two other people: one of them was an expert in Celtic languages, one in Celtic mythology. "heh, and my focus is in Irish archaeology." "Whoa," we all said.

That conversation was only broken up over the prospect of finding a suitable place to watch fireworks. This is ordinarily the exciting part of town where people ask you if know where they can find their drug dealer and real life prostitutes hang out on real life corners, and that night it was only amplified by the illegal fireworks exploding everywhere. The roof ended up being the best place to get a panorama view of both the fireworks and the firetrucks and ambulances zooming around dealing with the mayhem caused by drunks/idiots/children (and occasionally all three) shooting fire at one another. Plus, it'd been a long time since I'd drank tequila on a roof on the Fourth of July.... in fact, not since I lived in Corvallis!

Thursday? Not so great. Early morning class, then soccer on the lava field (have I mentioned it's hot?). While I was peeling off my ultra-smelly socks, I started talking to the only other girl that shows up regularly. Turns out she's also from Corvallis and knows nearly all of my friends! Small, small world this is.

Hot Guy has reappeared in my evening class.... and he cut his hair. :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hot guy, cool cut!

Middle Child said...

Its so cold here right now...ahrd to imagine that the heat might be a problem...am in no hurry for summer to return...