
Although not representative of the whole weekend, this is a good picture. The more enduring memory for me was the wind blowing through the fir trees against the backdrop of a grey, cloudy sky. Oh yeah, and a snapshot of the canoe, as I looked at it longingly from the campfire, wishing that it wasn't so windy so I could get away from everyone and out into some peace and quiet for a bit.
It's amazing how quickly I've gotten accustomed to being around free-thinking, liberal people. The conversations about homeless people faking their homeless status, rants against gays (and others), authoritative assertions on the illegitimacy of the Davinci Code, and endless Brokeback Mountain jokes were enough to drive me batty. It started off at 7:30 on Saturday morning when grandma told me, in her most condenscending "now you know the tooth fairy isn't real" voice, that global warming is perfectly natural and there's nothing we can do about it anyway. The last memorable asinine conversation ended with Gretchen (the sis picced above), who is a history major, visibly biting her tongue to keep from insulting the know-it-all bible thumpers on their poor grasp of history and the Davinci Code. "I can't believe I'm related to these people," was the line running through my head constantly.
It wasn't all arguments and gloom, though. As usual, there was an over abundance of food, of which I ate entirely too much. There was fry bread, brauts, salmon, gooey brownies, burgers, chicken, sandwiches, snacks galore and, of course, s'mores. My cousin and I went on several canoe rides and a rowboat trip, and saw many birds, flowers and a raccoon. It was also nice on Saturday night to hang out with all my cousins as well as my sister. We drank beer, talked about school, laughed loudly and threw things into the fire.
In all, it was a nice break from the school crunch that has had me stressed and depressed these past few weeks.

5 comments:
Sounds like a good one! Much needed I am sure... Peace.
rock on with the "horns"!
Ahh, the dog wasn't there. In fact, my sis was the only member of my immediate family that showed up. My immediate family my be moody and quirky, but dammit we don't make gay jokes and rant about homeless people! This side of the family that I had to endure really doesn't like dogs. They even tied them in to homeless people rant by saying they "definitely won't give money to someone with....some....animal, meaning the only loved one that homeless person has in his/her life. Animals... They say that word with such disdain. Harper isn't really welcome there and he knows it. He ends up moping like me.
It was the weekend before that I hung out with Harper, and I somehow managed to not get a pic of or with him. Boooooo!
Lovely to see what you look like. Its funny we have two daughters, and like you and your sister, both so different, but both equally pretty. One is tall and strong looking with blonde hair and strinking. The other is short and small with long light brown hair and has a Faery Fey look about her...
Both so different, bith beautiful just like you and your sister. But being sisters one always sees in the other something that they might wish for themselves...
I a never happier than when I know my two are together having a good girly time...sisters are very precious!
Thanks you have just reminded me of those things...brought a tear to my sooky mother's eyes.
32C5R09OW8
ftssoldier.blogspot.com
www.edwardsaid.org
The Davinci Code is false,
But global warming is caused
by human economic activity so there
nothing we can do it.
Global warming is a fear phobia of “left”
just like terrorism/china are fear phobias for “right”,
By the way where is idiot David T and his so called “Easton manifesto”
Hope you enjoyed Memorial Day
Post a Comment