Charge This
Scarbourough castle is pretty formidable. That cliff is huge and incredibly steep. It's not too surprising that it's been used since the Romans as an outpost and fortressScarborough yesterday was pretty neat and did indeed have a castle, the North Sea and really good fish n chips. Today we walked to town, but since it's Sunday nothing is really open and I couldn't find anything I needed. Oh well, I guess I can get a phone card tomorrow.
Some funny things:
- a warning on a pack of cigarettes says, "SMOKING CAN CAUSE A SLOW AND PAINFUL DEATH."
- a lot of menus list a desert called "spotted dick." Seems to be pretty popular.
- the route on our train tickets yesterday said simply, "NOT LEEDS." No guesses as to what would happen to us if we DID end up in Leeds.
- people really do say stereotypical British phrases like, "ta," "cheers," and, "tally-ho!" Haven't heard anyone mutter, "bollocks!" yet, but when our train was cancelled someone did say, "bloody hell!" I suppose it's rude to giggle at people when they say things like this, but the grocer yesterday kept laughing at me and I hardly said anything. Although I did give her a funny look when she gave me 7 pounds in coins. Which brings me to the next point...
- there are *8* different coins. I would totally fail working at a cash register here. In fact, everytime I pay for anything I have to pick up the coin, squint at it and figure out what denomination it is before I hand it over.

3 comments:
I really hate you. I'm all stoked about going on vacation in a couple weeks, and I'm just going to fucking Disneyland.
But yeah. I do read your blog now and then. Make a habit of updating and I'll make a habit of that.
Ah yes, jealousy! That's what I wanted to hear! Now I feel even better about myself. :)
In Leeds there is the Royal Armoury (http://www.royalarmouries.org/). It is rumored to contain an exhibit of every weapon issued to British troops since the times when the "K" in "knife" wasn't silent. Visualize an entire hall wallpapered with muskets and espontoons. If I were to "accidentally" end up in Leeds, that's where I 'd go.
Eugene
Post a Comment