Thursday, August 11, 2005

Bittersweet

My last full day in the Army happens to be the day Tony leaves for Iraq. It was surreal watching my unit put their gear on and gather up into formation without me being a part of it. I could never imagine this moment happening without me and I certainly can't imagine what it's going to be like for a whole year without Tony and without my support group of friends. A year is a long time. Those 12 months I spent in Korea seemed like eternity and I wasn't even homesick! Hopefully we'll all stay busy enough in our new, very different lives that time will pass quickly.

All I want to do is have an air conditioned room to myself, watch tv in my underwear and get drunk. But alas, all the hotels are booked for tonight and tomorrow in Watertown, so I have to return to my sweatbox with the roomate who talks too much with nothing to sleep on. I'm thinking of spending the afternoon at the bowling alley drinking away my sorrows and then just walking home. It is a whole two blocks, afterall. No one walks on this post, though, and the place is crawling with cops who, because of their overabundance, desperately need something to do - a lone drunkard would make a perfect target.

It occurs to me that I've had nothing but oatmeal to eat today and even that was long time ago. The bowling alley it is!

No comments: