Saturday, July 09, 2005

I have to move

Even though I'm working a whole two buildings away from where I used to live and work, someone deemed it necessary to make me move. When one moves from one duty station to the next - say, from Korea to New York - the army sends professional movers and lets you have the day off to wait for said movers. If, however, you are moving down the street, you are on your own and usually have about 2 days to do it..... after work. So that's the position I'm in. It's my last weekend to spend with Tony before he goes on leave and I may not be here when he gets back, and even if I am, he'll be in Iraq shortly after. But instead of spending time with him, I get to haul my belongs around post. What kills me is that I'm going to leave the army soon and all of my stuff is getting shipped home anyway. What the hell is the rush?

My new Chief says that she's confident that she'll get me to reenlist. BAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

Been surfing the net in an attempt to find apartments/jobs in the Portland area. I don't really want a job, but it's probably going to be necessary. The army has done nothing for my problem with authority - in fact, it's worsened it. I simply cannot stand an insecure douchebag on a powertrip making up for a total lack of competence by berating what he sees as his "lessers" for something either trivial or simply made up. I've been in the position of middle management for the past year and I know the stuff they come up with for your subordinates to do is ridiculous; there's no need to make it any more unpleasant than it already is or make up MORE meaningless and tedious tasks.

Tony suggests that I go to bartending school and then work at some cute little pub like the ones I always drag him to in Canada. It's not a bad idea and I'm sure I'll make some bucks, but isn't the point of working when you're in your 20's to pay for your nightlife? So how am I going to do that when I'm working during the prime hours? Sigh. I suppose a little compromise is necessary.

No comments: