Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Brief respite

I apologize if I haven't: returned your email/posted a blog/read your blog/wished you a happy birthday/visited/come over for poker/answered the phone when you called. I've been BUSY. Then I tried to avoid time online becaue I was absolutely sick of computers, words and typing. So here's a quick update of thoughts and things

- Once again I get a bizarre grade. At least this time it's in my favor. I'll call it even with this guy.

- I'm not one for cultural stereotypes, but I have to admit I did chuckle a bit when, after 90 minutes of watching Americans try to play soccer, on came a commerical for a British flossing mechanism.

- SOMEBODY SCORE A FRIGGIN' GOAL!! If I see one more draw I'm going to scream! Thursday is the last regular season match for the Timbers and it better be like 5-0. Us.

- The Caribbean in January sounds nice, yeah? I may do a field school there during my semester long boycott of PSU. If I don't decide to drag things out I should graduate the semester after that, in June.

- Fall term I have room for another class. I'm thinking a foreign language. So what is it? In alphabetical order, the options: Arabic, Chinese, Danish, Pashto, Ancient Greek, Modern Greek, French, German, Herbrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean (no!), Latin, Norwegian, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Turkish. Yeah, I'm amazed at the selection, too.

- Fall term currently looks like: Environmental Anthropology, English History 1066-1660, Transnationalism & Migration.

- I dropped a class I need for my minor in order to see the Pogues in Seattle, and even fronted the money for a bunch of friends so that they could get tickets too. Now, they've added a show for the following day, which would have been much more convenient and then just yesterday it was announced that the U.S. women's national soccer team (undefeated in something like 180 games) will be playing against Mexico in Portland on the very day for which I bought tickets.

- I've booked a room at Trinity College. Dublin was the only place I was worried about finding a room at the beginning of September, and I'm not too concerned about other places. I need to contact my ex-squadmate in England to see if he's going to still be around. That and finding tickets to the Cork City soccer game are my priorities on the trip planning side of things right now.

- This cool, rainy summer rocks.

I hope everyone is doing well! I'll stop by again when I'm back at my house where the internet (crappy DSL) is like lightning compared to the stoneage dialup my parents have.

4 comments:

Middle Child said...

ARE YOU GOING TO DUBLIN ?Ahh sigh... I want to go back to Ireland sooo bad, but saying "go back" our fasmily left in the 1840-50's before during and just after the Famine but I still call it going back... envy envy envy!

j kieselguhr said...

can you americans not do a course in english as a foreign language? (joke!!!)

i am sick of footy. we have no uninjured players here for the national team and we aren't gonna qualify. it's pitiful.

oh, and the pogues are worth the sacrifice1

Sara said...

MC, I can hardly believe I'm going again, either. Incidentally, Dublin has so far been my least favorite part of Ireland, but at least I'll have company for the first couple days.

Charlie, the U.S. just lost a U17 World Cup match to TAJIKISTAN. There are worse things in this world than having to root for England.

Honey! said...

I approve of you dropping your class for the Pogues! Did they play their glorious Waltzing Matilda version? I just did something similar when I permanently changed a class to a highly inconvenient later day just so I could see Rilo Kiley and Modest Mouse ha ha. Eh.