I got hurt in Saturday night's soccer game against the hilariously named PBR FC. It wasn't a life-threatening or debilitating injury, just an annoying hip flexor pull/strain. It did cause me to have to sit out the rest of the game, as I couldn't lift my leg - kind of imporant in a sport played with the feet.
Of course by the next afternoon my friends had found out about it and when I met them at the hockey game I was greeted with taunts of, "Hey, how's yer hip, ya old lady?" and discussions of hip replacement technology and questions as to whether or not I was going to be able to handle the upcoming Timbers season, what with all the standing and shouting obscenities at the other teams. Considering the Timbers don't start for another month or so, this kind of annoyed me. If I'm not playing by NEXT WEEK I'm going to be furious.
Ya see, I don't get hurt. Five years of scrambling up and down asphalt and mudslick hills with too much weight on my back and I couldn't get hurt if I tried. I couldn't tell you how many times I woke up in the morning, faced with another day of agonizingly stupid Army tasks, and thought, "God, can't I just get hit by a bus? At least severely twist an ankle?" Or how many times I'd be running behind someone in formation who suddenly fell over with a "Gah!" and a snapped tendon. Not once did I go to sickcall for illness, injury or otherwise. Sure, I got terrible blisters and sometimes my knees would hurt so bad in the mornings that I could've cried, but nothing that prevented me from having to participate in the daily activities. And now that I'm doing something I actually enjoy I have to sit out. Garrr.
Oh, and I hate art history. Otherwise, life is ok. Sorry for the lack of posts, but I didn't want to bore anyone to death with the mundane... mundaneness... that has been my life as of late.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Mundane mundaness! Sounds serious. And the hit by a bus line was a funny one. Needed it to open both eyes this morning...
Peace.
Drat! Sorry about that. Quick! Say something funny!
When I went to my training camps years ago I was the same as you. There were always the same old people going to the hospital on base, taking sick call. We would all have to pick up their slack, it did piss me off. Team work is so paramount..don't they get it!!
Same as you, never had an injury there, but sustained a knee injury years later on night shift as a nurse, not in the forces, had 2 operations, now it is all good. But it sure did suck that I was doing the job I loved and I got injured, grrrr.
BTW, my son and I scrolled down and listened to your friend's band, we both love that style, such raw talent..it'd be awesome to have an ale and a handful of nuts or pretzels and soak up that atmosphere!!!
Hi Mark, no worries 'bout the double posts - got it taken care of. And it made me feel popular for a second!
Cazzie - thanks for stoppin' by! I'll tell my friends they have an admirer from afar. :)
Are we really meant to do all this shit? Or do they justbtell us we should?
Seems a bit tough...enough is awaiting round the croner without tempting fate I reckon...but at 18 (not 53) didn't consider this at all...
I hated art history when I was taking it - but boy have I appreciated it since. I can actually recognize a Rembrandt, or a Picasso, and I know what a flying buttress is, and the difference between gothic and romanesque, all of which makes me actually sound educated when I converse with others who definitely are. Someday, you will look back on this class and be happy you took it. Someday I will tell you what it was like to take art history in the pre-internet era, when we had to buy these books of pictures of the art called "University Prints", that were about 3" tall by 8" wide, by 2" thick, and memorize every single piece, including artist, era, etc. depicted therein. And they cost a small fortune. Back in the dark ages.
Gina, hahahaha! I just read on your blog that you were an art history major! That explains this comment. :)
While I'm always appreciative of acquired knowledge, somehow I don't think I'm going to look back with fondness upon the ugly D or (if I'm lucky) C that's going to be stamped on my transcripts.
And pre-internet? I can only imagine. At least I chose a painting that was accessible on the internet - many, many are not - saving myself a trip to the museum. I like museums and feel that one should not soil them with homework.
I was a fine art (painting) major, not art history, but you still have to take a boatload of art history, and it's NOT fun. I think the ONLY way to learn about art history is to go SEE the stuff in real life - you know, a trip to the Louvre, the Uffizi, Notre Dame, stuff like that. The heck with pictures of pictures. That sucks! And yes, museums should be homework free zones! (I was an electrical engineering major, too, so can you imagine how schizophrenic my college life was?)
Post a Comment